extremely frustrating bug

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm running into a particular problem lately and I've googled till my fingers bled and can't seem to find someone with a similar problem or solution.

Here are my specs: Win7 Ultimate x64 / phenom II x4 2.8ghz / 3GB DDR2 / gigabyte AM2 board

Initially I thought this was a problem with Battlefield Bad Company 2, because it would happen only when the game crashed or I tried to exit: all my 32-bit programs close simultaneously and they terminate immediately when I try to run them again. This persists until I restart my PC or log off my account name.

I suspected my ram was going bad, but I never have problems booting and 64 bit programs run more or less despite this. But seeing as how most programs aren't native 64-bit, it's extremely annoying to have to log off EVERY time this happens. If anyone has any insight or knows what's causing this I would be very grateful, ty.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know whether or not bad RAM would cause this only on 32 bit applications, but you can use the free memory test utilities on http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ to check your RAM. These can be downloaded for free and burnt to a a cd or copied onto a usb drive....

Reaction score
Hello,

I hope I am not too late, but think your problem is similar to one I had recently, and is due to 32 bit programmes not running correctly on 64 bit Win 7.

I solved it by changing the compatibility setting for each 32 bit prog. to Vista SP 2. To do this right click on the programme icon (not a link), and then "properties". Select compatibility where you will see a drop-down list. Click the item at the bottom.

Hope this helps you,

Ask a Question