External Western Digital USB drive crashed OS

Reaction score
I plug in a Western Digital external USB 2.0 drive (Usually sold at Costco) Don't have the model but as soon as I plug it in, I got a blue screen of death! I thought that was the end of the blue screen. I believe this is normal since the pool of plug and play drivers it's probably not up to date with all the various divices out there. I have plug in my Kanguru drive and Kingston flash drive without any problems.

chivazo

Reaction score
Does the WD dirve work on a different Computer or Operating System? - Make sure the drive is not bad before you continue to make changes to Winows 7.

Reaction score
did the HDD come with an install cd? if so install it first.

What it could be is that, when ever you put it into the usb port, a spark occurs forcing windows to BSOD.
What i would do, if it is a laptop, take the battery out, and hold down the power button for 30secs.
For a desktop, just hold down the power button for 30secs.
now see if the HDD works.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you let us know the BSOD error you get as that might give a clue to the problem :)

Reaction score
More like, plug and PRAY.

Seriously though, WD have HDD diagnostic tools.
If you're still running an XP install i suggest you install them and run a full set of diagnostics on the device.

Ask a Question