Can I Dual Boot with and external drive.

Reaction score
I have a 100 GB hard drive that I don't use so i was thinking if I got a thing that would turn into an external drive and put a version of windows on the drive and dual boot it so I would not take space on my laptop. I need to know if this will work. Any Suggestions?

Reaction score
If your laptop has the ability to boot to USB, then yes.
Or if you can set the boot manger pointer to the USB, then yes.

However I personally wouldn't bother unless the connection was USB 3.0. For me USB 2.0 would be far too slow to even consider.

Reaction score
If your laptop has the ability to boot to USB, then yes.
Or if you can set the boot manger pointer to the USB, then yes.

However I personally wouldn't bother unless the connection was USB 3.0. For me USB 2.0 would be far too slow to even consider.
What do u mean by slower and how much slower would 2.0 be

Reaction score

In addition to the chart SATA 3.0 is 6 Gb/s. HDD's are approximately the same speed as the first generation SATA, which is 1.5Gb/s. So you can see that USB 2.0 is only a third as fast as the standard HDD. And HDD's are such a bottleneck in OS performance, many people are moving forward and using SSD's which nearly saturate SATA 3.0 (6Gb/s).

Ask a Question