Installing Windows 8.1 on an External Hard Drive while Keeping Windows 7 on internal hard drive

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am trying to create an external HDD with windows 8.1 so that when I need to use windows 8.1 I can simply plug in the external HDD and from the boot manager I boot into that HDD. I want to keep windows 7 on my inbuilt hard drive. I don't want to create a partition and install windows 8.1 on it. I already have the ISO file mounted on the external HDD. I used rufus to create that. When I restart my computer and go to boot manager and boot from the external hard drive it tells me to install windows 8.1 but I am not sure if it is telling me to install on my computer or install it on the external hard drive. I don't want to lose my stuff on windows 7 so I am not clicking on install because of that fear. Is it really possible to do what I am trying to do?

Thank you

Ask a Question