SOLVED Error '\systemroot\system32\config\software was corrupted and it has been recovered'

Reaction score
Operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium sp1 8 Gb of RAM.

I am getting the error in the subject every time (either Safe Mode or Regular) that I power-up my computer.
Basically, the cycle of events is as follows:
a) I boot into Safe Mode with Networking and the network ICON is in the taskbar and all seems to be OK in terms of functionality.
b) I boot again into Regular Mode and the network ICON is in the taskbar and all seems to be OK in terms of functionality.
c) Sometimes, I can boot into Regular Mode several more times and all is OK.
d) Other times, when I boot into Regular Mode, the network ICON does not appear, the Control Panel does not open up when I double click on it, etc. The only way to 'fix' these problem is by booting into Safe Mode with Networking (go to step 'a' above).
All assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Allan C.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Probably not to worry but always the first thing you should check when the computer behaves oddly is a virus. I know you aren't getting a BSOD but see the first part of my post >>HERE<< on running the best possible scan in safe mode WITHOUT Networking.

Assuming it is not a virus then drop to an administrative command prompt and run:
SFC /scannow

If that does not solve your problem then try booting to a W7 Installation DVD and from the main installation menu run the option in the corner for System Repair. If you do not have an installation DVD then I would encourage you to create one using a blank DVD, the W7 SP1 ISO (be sure to get the version, language, and 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) that matches your installation key), and IMGBurn freeware.

Reaction score
Probably not to worry but always the first thing you should check when the computer behaves oddly is a virus. I know you aren't getting a BSOD but see the first part of my post >>HERE<< on running the best possible scan in safe mode WITHOUT Networking.

Assuming it is not a virus then drop to an administrative command prompt and run:
SFC /scannow

If that does not solve your problem then try booting to a W7 Installation DVD and from the main installation menu run the option in the corner for System Repair. If you do not have an installation DVD then I would encourage you to create one using a blank DVD, the W7 SP1 ISO (be sure to get the version, language, and 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) that matches your installation key), and IMGBurn freeware.
I tried the repair from the DVD and it did not find any issues.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Perhaps your NIC is going to sleep and not waking up properly?
Go to control panel > device manager and find your network device and in the power options make sure it never sleeps.

Also make sure your drivers and BIOS are up-to-date.

If that isn't it then I'm afraid other than a complete reinstall I don't know what else to suggest you try :(

Reaction score
Perhaps your NIC is going to sleep and not waking up properly?
Go to control panel > device manager and find your network device and in the power options make sure it never sleeps.

Also make sure your drivers and BIOS are up-to-date.

If that isn't it then I'm afraid other than a complete reinstall I don't know what else to suggest you try :(
Recovering the software registry hive from the 'regback' directory resolved the problem. :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, so your registry had been damaged. Glad you got it worked out. I will mark this as solved.

Ask a Question