driver state power error on install

Reaction score
Could anybody help me out with this or point me in the right direction?

Whenever I try and install Windows 7 build 7068 or 7077 the installation process freezes and after a while i get a "DRIVER_STATE_POWER_ERROR", If I then restart the machine the installation process starts up again but just hangs.

I have tried this with both a clean install and an upgrade and I get the same thing.
However, build 7000 and build 7057 install fine.

I am using a gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard with the Nvidia 9400 chipset with a mirrored RAID configuration on two of the hard disks. The windows partition is on a non raided disk. The video is outputted via HDMI and the audio via optical to my AV reciever (Harman Kardon AVR-255)

also another thing, build 7057 seems to work fine as I am using it only as media center. HD video, dixv, mp3, recorded and live TV are all fine in media center and the configuration to pass DOLBY, DTS and AC3 5.1 surround sound to my AV reciever works perfectly. However, whenever I try to play a DVD, the screen stutters and flickers every few seconds as though the signal is lost. If i plug the HDMI cable directly in to my samsung plasma, the problem goes away!

If this was happening with all video I could put it down to the nvidia drivers not sending a correctly formatted signal, but it is only with DVD playback. I have tried the drivers which were installed automatically with win7 and the nvidia windows 7 beta drivers and I still get the same problem.

Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Janus

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not heard of that error before, but was it DRIVER_STATE_POWER_FAILURE?(almost the same)

As this happens during the installation I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. Are you able to temporarily disable the other RAID drives while you install Windows 7 on to the non-RAID disk?

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

I have unplugged the other RAID disks during install, but i did not change the settings in the BIOS. Again got the same problem.

If I changed the settings BIOS back to standard SATA and left the other disks unplugged and then managed to install Win 7 would it boot up when i changed it back again to RAID once it is installed? or would i get a similar error? or need to do a repair?

cheers

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If I changed the settings BIOS back to standard SATA and left the other disks unplugged and then managed to install Win 7 would it boot up when i changed it back again to RAID once it is installed? or would i get a similar error? or need to do a repair?
I'm not sure, but as you can't get it installed it might be worth a shot to see if it works. You should be able to provide updated RAID drivers if that is what causes the problem, but I could be completely off the mark.

Reaction score
Thanks Ian,

I'll give it ago next time I can get to tinker with it and I'll let you know the outcome.
Any ideas on the whole DVD thing???The drive is quite old and connected via IDE, but there wasn't any problem when I was using it with Vista installed.

Thanks

Reaction score
I've been getting the first error too. =/
And the exact same problem (with it hanging after restarting the pc)
I'm hoping Microsoft releases a installation fix for this. I'm not really 100% sure what hardware component is causing the problem..

Let me know if you find anything else out. I reinstalled Vista and was going to try the upgrade option, but seeing as that didn't not work for you as well, I doubt my situation would be any different.

EDIT: Oh! One last thing I thought I should mention to you! This is the second time I download and burn a copy of the RC. The first time, it kept telling me a driver for a dvd/cd drive was missing. This was before even starting the installation (just passed the "preparing setup" or something like that screen). So then I tried downloading the ISO again, and well, that solved THAT problem. So this may be another corrupt download I'm guessing. I'll try downloading it again tommorrow and see what happens.

Also all this is happening on the x64 version of the RC. How 'bout you?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have managed to resolve the DVD issue by updating the nvidia drivers for the onboard 9400 chipset from windows update. I think it must have been an issue with handshake and copy protection over hdmi.

In regards to the power problem. I managed to get the 32bit 7100 RC installed and working correctly without any power errors or blue screen, it even managed to suspend and sleep. I tracked down the problem to my Hauppauge Win TV NOVA-T dual tuner. By removing this everything seems to work fine. Although I do suspect it is something to do the the chipset drivers and not the TV card.

This is not ideal as i use 7mc for live and recorded TV, so it looks like I'm gonn have to stick with 7057 for the time being.

I will give 7100 another go at some point and will keep you posted of any more developments.

Cheers.

Ask a Question