BSOD driver power state failure when going to sleep mode

Reaction score
Hi,I just joined here and I am also having the same issues as HERE. A driver power state failure when going to sleep mode. I also just received it while trying to restart and got the BSoD while the "shutting down" screen was displayed. I had previously tried to install "Intel ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 5 - 2948 version 9.1.9.1001" and "Intel ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C version 9.1.9.1001" using the Driver Max application. While attempting to install the drivers,my wifi connection was lost. I have reason to believe the driver to my wifi card (Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN dirver version 14.0.0.113,latest from windows update,driver max has 14.3.2.1 but it has the same issues) may have something to do with it,as I sometimes lose internet connection (a small yellow exclamation point appears on the network icon of the taskbar) and any and all attempts to reset the adapter fails and device manager says no drivers are installed for the network card.If I do not try to reset the adapter,I can restart to fix the problem.If I try to reset and then try to restart,the system stays on the shut down screen for a long time and I get a BSoD eventually,just as I did with the driver installation or putting my system to sleep/hibernate. Also note,that while trying to put it to sleep,the screen will stay black and the HDD activity light will flash once every couple of seconds and this will go on for several minutes,I would guess about 10 to 15,and then the BSoD will happen.

Windows version is 7 x64 Ultimate. For me,Blue Screen View also points to ntoskrnl.exe with the address in stack being ntoskrnl.exe+81e7a

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7 Forums.

Please ensure your AV and Malwarebytes are up to date.
Boot to Safe mode and run a scan of your hard drive.

The run Windows update to ensure that you have the latest drivers / updates from Microsoft.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
ok,I recently did the things you said,and more. I made sure Avast! and Malwarebytes was up to date,as well as SUPERAnti Spyware and I went into safe mode and did a full scan with all three. None of them found anything,except tracking cookies. I also opened up a elevated CMD and performed an SFC scan and did an in windows chkdsk as well as a scheduled one at start up. The inside windows scan said it found some things and put it in a folder called "Found" but I cannot locate it. I was able to install various drivers with DriverMax,except the one problem one:"Intel ICH9 Family PCI Express Root" drivers,which I find should update "Intel ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 2940,Port 2 - 2942,Port 4 - 2946,Port 5 - 2948,and Intel ICH9M LPC Interface Controller - 2919". I tried installing it,and as usual,I lost my network connection driver (device manager says there is not driver installed in its status field) and got a blue screen on shutting down. I am attaching the newest dump file,which should have overwritten the old one.

Attachments

Reaction score
TDSS Killer found nothing and I put the offline scanner on a CD,as I have no flash devices. I really need to get one. I will scan offline with that CD when I next restart.

Edit: I did a full scan with the Windows Defender offline utility and it found nothing.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please put tmp6D23.tmp Sat Jul 26 23:29:37 2008 (488B26C1)
in to a zip file and upload it please.

Can you please check that the Wifi drivers are up to date from Toshiba.

I am suspicious of CCC (Catalyst Control Center).

Reaction score
I dont know how to find that tmp file. I ran a search of my computer and never found it. Maybe it is hidden or something? Any ideas where it would be?

I downloaded the WiFi driver direct from Toshiba's site. There was only two available,a 32 bit version,for Vista and a 64 bit beta version for Vista and 7. Considering it was considered beta,I went with the 32 bit version. I was forced to install it in Safe Mode,as I uninstalled/deleted the old one cannot do it inside normal windows,since it will just sit and say "uninstalling" forever.

As for CCC,I have heard it can cause some problems. It even caused me problems using Firefox (which would only run in its safe mode) after I installed the latest version of CCC,but uninstalling it and re-installing it fixed that problem. It would be a shame if I had to ditch it,since I love the new layout of it,but I could use ATI Tray Tools instead,if I had to. Also,just for kicks,I used MSCONFIG to make windows boot in diagnostic startup mode and then tried to put it to sleep,only for it to not work,like before.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
You should have installed the 64 bit version.

There are a lot of services that are disabled in Safe Mode.

Can you boot to Safe Mode and try and find the file?

Reaction score
ok,I installed the 64 bit version and ran a search for that file (entire computer) in Safe Mode and got nothing. On a side note,I tested an idea and tried to put my computer to sleep at the login screen,BEFORE going to my desktop and it went to sleep properly. I did it twice in a row. Afterward,I logged into my username (the only one,its just passworded) and tried to put it to sleep and I got the sleep BSoD. Uploading the new minidump,this is the first one uploaded of the sleep crash,as others were on restarts with WiFi driver problems,after some driver installation.. Since it is happening after loading the desktop,I would guess its a startup program or a service that loads after,or during,the desktop loads.Just my guess.

I am considering either updating to Windows 8 (which has things that intrigue me,and also turn me away,so I am on the fence) or re-installing Windows 7. re-doing windows 7 would be inconvenient,since I have many applications on my SSD system drive,although most are on my HDD,so I would not lose much. It would just cause some annoyances. I dont want to go to such an extreme,though...

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
haha,I know how to show hidden files,I still use the old ALT--->Tools--->Folder Options method.Still,I could not find the file,even with hidden files shown.Maybe it is being removed by software like Auslogics Boostspeed,when it does its daily maintenence,which includes file cleanup.

As for the driver scanner,the fields for gfx driver,chipset INF,Audio driver for Intel board and wireless networking all say this: "This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates."

The wired networking part just says error,maybe because I dont use an ethernet cable.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Are you able to upload to mediafire or something a FULL memory dump?

You would need to change the settings from Kernel Dump to Full Memory Dump.
When it crashes, reboot the laptop, zip the .dmp file. upload it to mediafire.

Are you able to do this?

Reaction score
there is no option to set to full memory dump.Only small and kernal,and it is currently set to kernal. I have not seen it say full memory dump since I was using Vista. I always though 7 removed the option.

Shintaro

Reaction score
You need at least a 4Gb Pagefile do you have that on the system drive?

Reaction score
yes and its system managed and currently allocated to 4093 MB. It says the recommended amount is 6139 MB,however I only have about 3GB left of my SSD free and I dont feel comfy with taking up that much of it,in case some big update to windows comes out or something. Should I raise it to 6139 MB?

Shintaro

Reaction score
If you can't see the Full Memory dump option. Then you will need to. Then reboot.
Just until you get a Full Memory dump, then change it back.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Are you able to move some files over to the other disk until you can get the crash dump?
Just to create a bit more space on the SSD.

Ask a Question