Driver State Power Failure BSOD

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having some BSOD issues. Everytime I try to restart or turn off my computer I get a BSOD.
After I initiate reboot/shutdown windows behaves normally and starts the procedure.
First it closes all the programs and then it logs me out and then it says "Shutting down", thats where the problem lies.
The system hangs there for a few minutes and then returns the BSOD "Driver State Power Failure".

I've attached the minidump files. Could someone please help me?

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Minidumps did NOT get attached. You need to zip them up and the zip file needs to be smaller than 1.19mb (just zip the most recent 5 or 10 if the first try is too big).

Reaction score
Hey, sorry about that. The minidump file was a bit over 1.5 MB. I deleted some older files in there and now I've attached the new one.

Reaction score
If no one can help me with this problem, can anyone at least tell me how to read minidump files?
What programs can I use to open them? Any help is appreciated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm guessing our BSOD guru is AFK for the USA holiday weekend. Hopefully he comes back in a few days.

Reaction score
So I guess I should wait a couple days then. No problem.
I'll simply not turn the computer off for a while, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for the reply TrainableMan.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have any trouble when it goes to sleep/hibernate or only on shut-down?

I can't read minidumps but the first thought I had was something is loosing power before it should.

Check for updated drivers especially video and maybe a BIOS upgrade as these patches can often be power related.

Reaction score
I don't usually put my computer to sleep/hibernate but I guess I can try that later today.
Sorry I'm not at the computer that's having the problem so I can't try it right now.
I'll try it later and let you know. Thanks for the suggestion.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well updated drivers is always a good idea. Updating the BIOS should only be done when you know it won't be interrupted because if power is lost in the 10-30 seconds during the update it can "brick" the motherboard.

Reaction score
I recently updated the motherboard BIOS so that shouldn't be a problem. Is there a program that I can use to scan for all the out of date drivers on the computer?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The best method is to go to the manufacturers website for your different hardware: PC manufacturer, the video card manufacturer, etc.

There is a utility which I don't normally recommend because it's not perfect. The problem is that it is only as good as it's last driver database update so there could be more recent drivers. Also the IDs devices give off aren't always exact and it can sometimes install the wrong driver; if that driver is a video driver or something critical you may not be able to boot into normal mode.

That being said, it can be used relatively safely if you follow some simple guidelines.

1. Download and install Device Doctor 2.0
2. Create a Restore Point (type Restore Point into Start-search)
3. Run Device Doctor and if it finds any drivers allow it to download ONE driver and install it.
4. Reboot and verify your system is working.
5a. If it is working, Go back to step 2 (create another restore point) as long as there are drivers.
5b. If it doesn't work then ...
- boot to safe mode
- restore from the restore point
- Reboot and go to step 3 but skip over the driver that did not work

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
BTW, were you getting these BSODs before you flashed the BIOS?

Reaction score
I will try and use the software to see if it helps, and yes I was getting the problem before the BIOS update.

Ask a Question