SOLVED Download won't work with Word 2003

Reaction score
I use W7 Ultima but I still use Word 2003 (I know update).
From a computer magazine they had a program to add tabs to the Word documents
so I downloaded it.: www.snipca.com/X5734

It downloaded fine but when I start up Word nothing happens.

My husband downloaded the program on his laptop still using Word 2003 and the Word documents come up with lovely tags at the top.

I know it is an off subject but I sure would like to add those tabs:eek:
Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Worked for me too (Office 2007). Thanks for the add-on tip.

What happened when you ran the program you downloaded? Did you see it install? did you get the settings window once it completed?

In the settings window there is an option which says "hide tab bar when there is one tab" (there is one of these for each application) then if only one document is open you will not see tabs. To get to the settings window if you closed it, type "office tab center" in the start menu.

If it is none of those, then I would uninstall it and reinstall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for help. Unfortunately no luck. I tried unclicking all the checks, then clicked one by one in the settings window and finally uninstalled and reinstalled - no luck.

I looked at my Word settings and cannot see anything that would prohibit the program.
Thanks anyway.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Patti, a possibility is some form of registry corruption.

If you want to test that, what you could do is create another administrative user account. Then log on to that account, install the add-on, then open word and see if it has tabs.

Reaction score
Ok, I set up new adminstrators account, downloaded tab program - no luck.
Damn annoying. Thanks again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I always see you saying you downloaded it but I never see you say you ran it to install it. You are running the exe, correct? And when you run it, do you see several screens: license agreement, installation path, the actual install, and finally the settings screen? And can you look in \Program Files\ and check where it installed to verify you have files like these:
MSOfficeTabs1.jpg

NOTE:\Program Files\ is a system protected folder so you may need to change your Windows Explorer Folder and search options to see hidden files and folders. You can set it back once you verify the files are there.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It all looks good. I don't see the 64-bit files, but I assume that just means you have a 32-bit OS.

It's also good that a different account didn't make a difference ... because a corrupt registry in your Patti account is actually a worse problem, I simply wanted to rule it out.

But anyway ... I think I found something much simpler than all this we've been doing. Apparently there are settings in Office as to whether you trust add-ins and allow them to run. See HERE .. now I'm trying to find either the registry location or some settings screen where you set this stuff. I don't have office 2003 so my searching is on the internet but maybe you can open office and search around a bit on your end. Maybe open the HELP and search on enable add-ins?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you take a look at THIS? You might scroll down and try the Soft-disabled add-ins first.

Reaction score
The links you indicated keep talking about Office. I do not have an individual Office icon but I have Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook 2002/3 installed on my computer. I went on Word>Help>Disabled Items. I removed the one that was there called Doc Word 2616.tmp.

I tried the Soft Disabled Add-ins instructions but from Word>Tools>Options there is no "Other" tabe to get to Advanced Options.

I tried setting all my security options to low and downloaded a new version of Office Tabs, ran it, tried it with Word - nothing.:(

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you check Hard disabled, in Word? Can you get to that and does anything show there?

To re-enable an add-in that has been hard disabled by a Microsoft Office 2003 application

1. On the Help menu, click About Microsoft Office Word.
  2. Click Disabled Items.
    Add-ins created with Visual Studio Tools for Office appear in the list of disabled items as "Addin:<add-in name>AddinLoader.dll"
  3. Select the add-in and click Enable.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Another question ... have you opened Excel? Powerpoint? Does it work there?

If it works in those two but not Word then try the "Delete the Word Registry subkey" listed HERE

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well it is with relief I write today, and embarrassment:eek:
After reading all about "Delete Word Registry subkey" I decided to try it first from my dual partion with XP.

I checked Excell and Powerpoint and yaa they had the tags but not word. I then decided before I deleted the Word Registry I would try and reinstall old Word 2003. In doing so I discovered I was still using Word 2002 (I remembered I had kept 2002 as I was afraid of losing my custom dictionary with all my Norwegian names.

Anyhow, I reinstalled Word 2003 and wala Tags:)

I went back to W7 and found the same thing so I reinstalled (and I did not lose my dictionaries) Word 2003 and yas - TAGS.

So after your generous and tenacious suggestions, It looks like it was my not realizing Word 2002 would not work with Tags. I do appologize and thank you for helping me:beer:
Patti

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well Patti it does seem to take us a few days to figure these things out but in the end we seem to get them working. Glad it all worked out. I've marked another one SOLVED.

Ask a Question