MpCmdRun.exe download again and again taking bandwidth

Reaction score
Everyday when I log on internet, after a few minutes I see a big block 128MB of bandwidth sucked up. Networx tracker identifies it as "Microsoft Malware Protection Command LIne Utility. Why is doing this. every day. the same amount. I am on limited bandwidth.

I've had enough enough experience monitoring antivirus and malware. Except for an occasional upgrade which takes a large chunk bandwidth daily update are typically very small amounts

I checked MpCmdRun.exe with Services.msc and all the input panels for setting things like Automatic Manual Disable are greyed out! They can not be changed.

How do i stop it squandering bandwidth?

Marty

Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks Clifford. I have already seen this one. Of course is says don't disable it for obvious reasons. But there must be something wrong for it download such large chunks every day.

Reaction score
I wonder if you could remove reboot and then reinstall using Add and Remove Windows Components? I've had Windows Update continually download because of an update that would always fail from a glitch. Sometimes removing the faulty application and reinstalling would get passed the glitch.

Edit:
Please note: it has been some time since I have worked with a Windows 7 machine.

Reaction score
I think I fixed! (I hope).

It was a rather massive security update download 669.1MB! It appears the system was downloading 128-180 MB chunks each day presumable to avoid overloading the bandwidth. (How nice of them... >:/

I looked up (via control panel) the Security Update list of recently installed patches and there was an incremental string of failures of KB 2310138. I checked Microsoft Catalog of updates and it is a massive 669.1MB definitions update for MS Essentials. No wonder!

I downloaded the package from a local library (unlimited bandwidth), then back home had to open and manually install about 60 small program elements. Fortunately they were small programs and quick to execute and all was done in ten minutes or so.

I have been on line now for two hour and so far so good and meter shows only 46MB used. No data shock. We'll see how it pans out for the rest of the day.

Marty

Ask a Question