Disk performance rating

Reaction score
I am trying to work out the best disk setup for my Win7 x64 setup. I want redundancy and performance. RAID0+1 would be the obvious choice, but speed from the stripe is canceled out by the redundancy of the mirror. So I set up a RAID5 array to try to get both redundancy and performance.

First setup, single disk no RAID, 7200rpm, 16MB cache. Rating = 5.4

2nd setup, 5x 400GB 5400rpm, 8MB cache, RAID5. Rating = 5.9

My assumption is that a mirror on setup 1 will decrease the value and a mirrored stripe will bring the same value. I don't have another set of matched disks to prove this, has anyone else?

Has anyone got any stats on single / mirrored SSD's I would be interested in the model and value.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
but speed from the stripe is canceled out by the redundancy of the mirror
Are you absolutely sure about this?
Can you not use a four drive configuration?

I can see how a stripped configuration would be handicapped by a single mirror drive. I ask because the only reason for stripping a mirrored drive would be to increase performance.

Mirrors are written at the same time and at the same speed making both drives identical. Very little performance would be lost and if you use stripping the performance is doubled. You would however need four drives in this configuration.

Reaction score
I have just tested the next configuration:

3rd setup, 2x 7200rpm, 16MB cache RAID1 (mirror). Rating = 5.3

So there is some overhead with the mirroring as i expected because of the small performance reduction when writing.

Can anyone post their SSD ratings?

Thanks

Ask a Question