Disappearing desktop icons

Reaction score
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. This seems to be a recurring problem, as I have seen it mentioned several times on other forums but still haven't found a solution that works for me. Every so often my desktop icons vanish. I have to click >>Desktop>>Show desktop icons to turn them off (even though they're not there), then turn them back on to see them, and then they disappear again after about five seconds. I have run half a dozen scans of every type on this computer, and it's clean as a whistle. So this is clearly a bug within Windows 7 (which I happen to love, by the way). Could somebody please help me with this? It's intensely aggravating. Thank you.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums DarkkOrbit :)

I suspect this problem could be due to a bit of software conflicting somehow (do you have INFRARECORDER for example, as this seems to cause problems).
Can you try disabling any applications that load on startup to see if this solves the issue, then you can re-enable them one by one.

There is a similar MSKB article here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978980/en-us) which may be of use, but I think that refers to icons that disappear permanently.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I've gone through the start-up items (using CodeStuff Starter), and there's nothing that has any effect on this. I'm thinking I'll just have to get used to a life without desktop icons.

Ask a Question