Couple cursor errors

Reaction score
Just got my Windows 7 machine today(AMD Phenom X6, 8gb of Ram, 1TB HD and ATI 3000 integrated gpu) and Im having a couple problems with my cursor interacting with things.

First problem I noticed was when my wife tried to log onto our bank account and told me she couldn't click on drop down menus. After I fiddled with it a bit I couldn't get it to work either, it doesn't even interact with the options(they don't get highlighted).

Second problem involves the cursor seemingly going idle. Occasionally I'll lose the ability to click on things like the min/max/close icons on windows or some text boxes like on MSN Messenger, again it doesn't even interact with them.A temporary fix Im using atm is ctrl-alt-del and then clicking cancel.

As I type this I realized that they may even be the same problem.

I've tried google and can't seem to find anything useful and ofcourse Microsoft and Asus blame each other. Perhaps you guys can help me out here.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off you should rule out malware (virus, keyloggers, etc) because they take processing cycles and generally slow things down.
-What AntiVirus software do you use and have you run a complete scan, please do so if you haven't?

-You might also download Malwarebytes and run a scan with that (If you have an Antivirus software then do NOT activate their free trial of the full version because two AVs should not be active), you just want the passive manual scan.

-Also you might run Spybot Search & Destroy but do NOT enable the tea-timer (uncheck that on install) and uncheck any toolbars or other crap they offer to add.

NOTES:
1.Please not that some things that pop-up are just adware such as coupon sites that also display advertisements. So if, for example, Coupon.com shows up on the list and your family uses that then uncheck the box when Spybot S&D offers to remove it.
2.There is another piece of Spybot S&D to immunize (it's the third tab down). This won't help your current issue but it may help protect your computer from malicious sites so I do encourage you run that piece too.

Links to Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D are available in our freeware DB.

OK now let's say it is not malware ...
Next thing I would rule out hardware problems. I had a mouse that stopped responding and it turned out the wire was going bad and I would loose connection. So try a different mouse or what you can do is set your sounds for Device Connect and Device disconnect and see if you hear those sounds when your mouse stops responding (For sounds: Control Panel\Sound ... sounds Tab)

You mention you are doing online banking. What browser and version are you using (IE9, FireFox, Chrome, etc)?
Very often add-ins can effect the browsers operation because it may disable scripts for example. I would suspect this is the most likely issue with your banking. To test this find the option do run your browser WITHOUT ADD-ONS and see if it is still impossible to click the items. If that works then one of the add-ons needs removed or adjusted to allow the banking site to function properly.

Other possibility is software running that is using all your CPU cycles. For example, some AntiVirus programs don't work well in some computers and slow things down. So please try the stuff above first and report back as well as answer my questions above.

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

It is not malware, I have gone to those sites and downloaded and ran scans. I use Kaspersky and haven't run a virus scan yet because I haven't gone to any "untrusted" sites, I've gone to my banking site, a forum I visit regulary, gmail and this forum.

The mouse is brand new(logitech g700) and it does it with the Asus mouse the computer came with.

I use Firefox4.0 and the only add-on I have is the adobe plug-in.

My resources aren't being used up as I had task manager up and referred to it every time it stopped interacting with the min/max/close options to look for that very thing.

The thing that makes me think its a Windows issue is that I set it up not 12 hours ago and haven't gone to any sites other then the ones listed above and haven't downloaded anything other then a couple updates. Even then it was doing it before the updates.

I also found out that when I click on the FF tab at the bottom it seems to refocus the window and lets me click on the min/max/close buttons. It also doesn't act up in the window itself, other then drop down menu options.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Brand new computer. Does it with two different mice. Hmm

You said only a couple updates ... is it running SP1 (Windows 7 service Pack 1)? If not then I would allow it to update to that.

You may also want to make sure the drivers are the most current (Setpoint 6.30.43 June 30, 2011 at the time of this post)

Reaction score
I must've clicked the wrong link I got 5.44.5, downloading 6.30.43 now to see if that helps.

Reaction score
Everything is now up to date and it still happens.

Its whenever I click inside a window that it happens, if that helps.

*edit*
Its also causing my taskbar to lose focus sometimes, or whatever the hell is going on.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is this a custom build or name brand off-the-rack? If it is custom then disable any overclocking and verify your memory is correct for that board and the timings are set correctly for that memory. If you're not sure then list the motherboard and the memory make/model and there are usually some builders around that can tell you proper timings.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
For the bank problem
Try installing the latest Java first ( http://java.com/en/download/) . Delete all previous Java installations, before installing.. In FF, open Tools - Add-ons - Plugins (and Extensions) and make sure you have Jave enabled.

If that still gives a problem, see if you can access the drop downs fully using IE (Try it also in compatibility mode)

Ask a Question