Mouse a couple of weeks ago, keyboard today.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Since my second return home (Wednesday) in the last few months from the hospital (severe headaches caused by disc degeneration in my neck), I noticed my keyboard was acting up. Keys were sticking, and a couple of other minor things about it bugged me also.

Office Max sent me a $10 off card to use on a $20 or more purchase, and today I came out smelling like a rose. I got a Logitech K320 wireless keyboard, and a 8GB Kingston DataTraveler 101 thumb drive (normally $39.99, for $10). The keyboard also had a $10 discount. Both of these items was a total of $23.01, after all discounts, and the $10 card that was sent to me.

This keyboard is fantastic for the money spent, it makes me wonder, why doesn't the OEM's (Dell, HP, etc.) simply throw one in? Surely they could have bought it for less than I could. There are two things that I already like about it, it has a sleep option, and once woke (or restarted), has a home page option on the left, as well as a direct mail (Windows Live) button. And my volume controls and direct access to Windows Media Center are on the upper left. And it's backed by a three year warranty. Not bad for $11.50 (the thumb drive cost the remaining $11.51)

And speaking of the thumb drive, 8GB of drive for $11.51 is a great deal, especially a Kingston. It looks different from my 4GB Kingston, it says "ur drive" on package, and includes a bonus 2GB Online Backup. I was just reading the back of the package, and there's something that I've never seen before. It has 2GB Free online backup acct (w/account setup), a "Secure Internet Browser" by Yahoo (is this a thumb drive or a pocket computer), and File & Content Organization. The "urDrive & it's features works with Win 7, Vista SP1 & 2, & XP SP2 & 3. Win 2K, Mac & Linux are left out of the deal. This drive is backed by a five year warranty.

I didn't intend on buying the drive, but had to spend $20 to use the $10 card that was sent to me, and another drive to my endless collection looked good to me (like I really needed another). This makes six thumb drives (all working).

But has anyone used the browser function on this drive? And is it meant for when you need to use another computer than your own, and you want to keep your privacy? My WD Passport had a "sync" software on it, I could carry it around and use it on another computer, and not violate their privacy or mine.

And this wireless keyboard, do the batteries drain fast (some says so), or is the directions on the package right, they last for up to three years?

But I just can't believe the way HP has done, their mouse & keyboard both barely lasted through it's factory warranty. All that the OEM's want to throw at us is junk these days. I'll buy another notebook (a Toshiba), but my next computer will be built, I want to know what's inside (and outside) of it.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
OEMs are too cheap to throw in a quality keyboard.

My keyboard is a Key Tronic Lifetime Designer II model and the first one lasted 7 years before I decided to replace it with a newer one (same model) a few months ago.

I broke a key screwing around with the older one, the newer one was on special at an eBay store for $17 so I couldn't pass it up. These keyboards usually run around $40 or so.

If you get good quality name-brand alkaline batteries you'll be good for about at least a year or so. Three year battery life on a daily use wireless keyboard is pretty strong claim though.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I agree on the battery usage, I tend to get 6-ish months from my Logitech wireless keyboard, I really don't believe 3 years unless you use it about once a week. As for the thumbdrive, it does sound like a portable browser and apps to me (check out http://portableapps.com/) if it's anything like that, I have a spare thumb drive set up using that suite and it's awsome to take on the go (friends houses or vacation) as you can surf and such and be more secure

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That was a good idea to come out with an app like that. It's much less weight to carry than a WD Passport, although it's not heavy, and is a 160GB drive, compared to the 8GB thumb drive.

They are good to have, as many as you can get your hands on.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Another reason OEMs don't give you high-grade mice or keyboards is because a lot of users will go with customizing their setups. Most everyone I know does.

With those extra thumb drives, erase them clean and give them as stocking stuffers to friends and/or family.

Ask a Question