Just installed W7, don't understand disk information and a couple other things

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba U845-S406. It had a Hitachi 465gb and a Sandisk 30gb drive. I assumed there were together on the same piece, but perhaps not.
I had all sorts of untraceable problems, which I figured could be fixed by a new hard drive and fresh W7 install. I bought a Kingston 120gb drive and installed W7. It works and the mysterious error messages have stopped. But there are other issues.

But...
1) on boot it sits for 10 seconds asking me to type control I to enter the configuration settings for the hard drives.
a) Do I want to change the configuration setting? (see 3 below)
b) How do I get rid of that? It adds 10 seconds to the boot time
2) it then goes to a screen for 30 seconds asking me if I want to boot W7 or windows setup (ems enabled). How do I get it to boot W7 without asking?
3) If I do type in control I, it says I have two Raid Volumes.
0 SSDSpace Raid0(Stripe) 128KB strip 11.2GB Normal Yes Bootable
1 cach_vol Raid0(Cache) 128KB strip 18.6GB Disabled No Bootable
And two Physical Devices
0 Kingston SV300S3 111.7GB Non-Raid Disk
1 Sandisk SD5SF203 29.8GB Cache (0,1)
I presume the Kingston is what I installed, and the Sandisk is left over from before.
What is all that Raid0 stuff, and should I change anything?

-----------------------
I just loaded Partition Wizard.
It shows the Kingston as Disk 1.
As disk two it shows an 11.21 disk, and says it is full. It does not show the 18.6 at all.
Thought that might help.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Some how you or someone else has enabled RAID in the BIOS, which was probably the original fault on your other thread. :) You will need to disable RAID and re-install Windows. I don't have the manual for your laptop, so you will need to have a look there. Or get in to the BIOS and reset the BIOS to DEFAULTS.
It is 1:30 am here so I will have a look later (about 9 am) if you are still having issues.

Reaction score
There is nothing in Bios about RAID; at least nothing I can find.
BTW I couldn't do a complete system restore or install W7 on the old disk because it would crash before finishing. I couldn't even format the old disk without it crashing. Now I have run 4 hours of Hitachi diagnostics on it and it claims it is perfect. Now that I have formatted the old drive, I am tempted to put it back in and try again.

But aside from all this, how do i get it to not ask about disk configuration or operating system and just boot?

Actually I just fixed the W7 or Windows set up issue. I chose Windows setup to see what it did. It started to reset my system and immediately crashed. Now it doesn't ask anymore, and every thing seems fine.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Are you still getting the prompts on boot about RAID?

Reaction score
Well, I guess not.
There is nothing in BIOS related to RAID. The prompt at boot is from from Intel Rapid Storage ROM. Apparently I don't need to have a driver or software installed, it is already there on a ROM chip. Perhaps the reason I was having troubles was because the chip was flaky?
Anyhow I went into configuration and removed them as RAID drives. I then installed a partition and formatted it. All seems well now. I even have a new 32GB drive to go with the 120gb I installed.

Odd thing is that the prompt never once came up before, even when it was working well. But it is gone now.
Thanks for your patience all this time.

Ask a Question