Constant Freezing after Reinstalling Windows

Reaction score
My computer has been freezing every 10 minutes to an hour (completely locking up, forcing me to manually reboot) for a few months now.

It started after i reinstalled windows 7 x64 bit. tried DriverGenius, Windows Update, and CCleaner, but nothing has done the trick. Help would be appreciated guys. Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you running W7 Service Pack 1? If not then install SP1.
Make/model/RAM/GPU of the computer. Desktop/Laptop? Is it off the shelf or custom build? Overclocked? Did you use matched RAM?
Have you run Memtest?
What software runs active, especially anti-virus? Try uninstalling your AV with the manufacturers uninstall tool and see if it persists.
Did you try reinstalling another time?

Reaction score
Try to boot in safe mode and verify if the computer works fine without freezing. To boot to the desktop in safe mode keep tapping F8 key during restart. Once you see the option to boot in safe mode select it and press enter.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If the computer works fine in safe mode, you try to put the computer in clean boot state to make sure that third party applications are not causing this issue with computer performance.

Reaction score
Are you running W7 Service Pack 1? If not then install SP1.
Make/model/RAM/GPU of the computer. Desktop/Laptop? Is it off the shelf or custom build? Overclocked? Did you use matched RAM?
Have you run Memtest?
What software runs active, especially anti-virus? Try uninstalling your AV with the manufacturers uninstall tool and see if it persists.
Did you try reinstalling another time?
Alright SO
It is an Alienware Aurora, custom built off the internet. Started freezing AFTER reinstalling windows. Desktop, not overclocked, haven't ran memtest. My programs that run active are Steam, NVIDIA settings, uTorrent, Daemon tools, Realtek HD Audio Manager, Intel Rapid Storage Technology, Logitech Profiler, and AVG Antivirus (installed AVG after the freezing problem)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Since you say the problem started right after you reinstalled I personally would try reinstalling again. Sounds like something didn't go right. It's quite possible the drivers, etc that you have now are not the ones the internet seller used. Is the copy of W7 that you installed the one that came with the computer or where did you get it? I would suggest you download the latest W7 SP1 ISO from Microsoft and install that.

Other ideas, you said you installed AVG after it started so it's possible you have a virus. You could try downloading RKILL (RKILL has several filenames of basically the same thing so if one doesn't work try another) and then without rebooting after RKILL runs, run the freeware edition of Malwarebytes (select NO to the free trial because you should not have two active anti-virus programs running). Find links to RKILL and Malwarebytes in our Freeware DB.

Quite honestly freezing problems can be caused by so many things that it is often trial and error.

BTW: a driver within Daemon Tools can cause BSODs but you aren't getting BSODs so could that be an issue, I don't know but hunch says no. Personally I have never had an issue with it on my computer but if you do get a BSOD the experts will recommend deleting it.

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Alright SO
It is an Alienware Aurora, custom built off the internet. Started freezing AFTER reinstalling windows. Desktop, not overclocked, haven't ran memtest. My programs that run active are Steam, NVIDIA settings, uTorrent, Daemon tools, Realtek HD Audio Manager, Intel Rapid Storage Technology, Logitech Profiler, and AVG Antivirus (installed AVG after the freezing problem)
The following programs can exhibit freezing and BSOD's
Daemon tools/Alcohol (sptd.sys)
Utorrent (of course)
AVG (sometimes.

I would remove sptd.sys

Please remove any CD visualization programs such as Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%.

They use a driver, found in your dmp, called sptd.sys, that is notorious for causing BSODs.

Use this SPTD uninstaller DuplexSecure - Downloads http://duplexsecure.com/faq

when you're done you can use this Freeware MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD-ROM(MagicDisc) in its place.

Ask a Question