Constant computer freezing

Reaction score
Hey,
browsed the forum to try and aid my problem but read that its easier to diagnose
these types of issues individually -

Recently got a new computer running Windows 7 64-bit.
As of yesterday, it randomly freezes when I am using (or just as I open) applications.
In the middle of games, or even when I press play on youtube. Everything freezes, and I cant move the mouse or press any keys. If audio is playing, it will continue to play in the background... the only thing I can do is turn the computer off and on again.

Specs are -

CPU: Intel Core i5 760
Mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E LX
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 460 1GB
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: Silverstone Strider Essential 80Plus 500W
Also have two other hard drives from my old computer.

I ran an eset scan, it found two trojans but deleted them. The problem still persists however. Not sure if this issue is windows 7, graphics card, or virus related.

Any help is much appreciated, cheers.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Number 1, is to try a different anti-virus and be sure to use the manufacturers removal tool to get it all. For a free version MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is a decent active choice and improve that with Malwarebytes freeware version as a passive choice you can run manually once a week.

Number 2, make sure your drivers and BIOS are up-to-date

Number 3, what programs can you remove from start-up and what auto-updates can you turn off or schedule during off-peak hours. Crap like Adobe doesn't need to be preloaded and auto-updaters like java, adobe, ccleaner, and even windows update, windows media center, your a/v and scheduled back-ups might kick in at importune times to drag down your resources. Eliminate what you can, set minor ones to manual, try to schedule some when you are sleeping, and then be wary of the rest.

Number 4, Other software. What else do you run? spy/ad-blockers etc can slow the system or clog your hosts file.

Tools like process explorer can be used to watch your CPU usage and TCPView can be used to watch for port accesses by programs updating from the internet.

Number 5, superfluous temp files etc can drastically effect browsers. Use a product like ccleaner once a week.

Number 6, fragmented files slow disk access. Defrag your harddrive periodically.

Number 7, hardware issues - can be extremely hard to diagnose; if you added new hardware recently then it may be that or it's drivers.

If you get any BSODs then use the BSOD thread and post your dumps. They can help pin-point issues.

Links to the software & tools I mentioned are available in our Freeware Database

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

My friends and I had a feeling it is a malfunction with my graphics card, so I took it out and put my old one in (8800 gts). Been running adobe and steam games for the last two hours, and it hasn't crashed yet - may have found the answer, but will standby for a couple more days to confirm.

Do you mean eset is no good, or that I should run another anti-virus anyway?
and what do you mean by manufacturers removal tool?

Boot drive is new, and only has a few applications on there. D & F drives however are old, so I guess it wouldn't hurt to defrag them too.

As for start-up programs, eset is the only thing that opens. Adobe updates sometimes pop up too. Steam used to, but I turned that off. So far I haven't noticed anything on startup slowing the computer.

I haven't experienced any BSOD on this new comp yet. However after my comp froze, one time when I turned it off and on again I had a windows popup saying a blue screen had occured. (even though literally, it didn't). I'll refer to that page if it happens though, cheers.

Reaction score
Let's see if your RAM is set right in the bios. Attach 2 screenshots of CPU-Z in tabs "memory" and "spd".

Also, give link to a web page or .pdf file with the RAM specs.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Do you mean eset is no good, or that I should run another anti-virus anyway?
and what do you mean by manufacturers removal tool?
ESET is an excellent AV program, I used it on a trial basis for several month and had zero issues with it. It is rated as one of the top 5 AV programs.

The software removal tool is an application supplied by the AV software maker which ensures all the program and registry entries are deleted upon removal.

You did install the latest drivers for your motherboard chipsets and LAN, audio, etc.?

Did you verify that your RAM settings are correct in the BIOS?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Every A/V there is has some effect on access speed. Some work well on one OS and not so well on others. Some started out good and became Bloatware over the years. So I never meant to imply you had to replace your A/V forever; it is something to try for 24 hours or whatever and see if the situation changes.

If removing the video card fixed your problem then most likely your video card has problems or very very often needs an updated driver. Cybercore is offering to check your ram settings and your drivers so when you have a chance it might help your system to answer his info request.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'm a long life (life long??) ESET man.
Just make sure that you've disabled Windows Defender if you keep ESET running. They don't fit well together in my experience.

Reaction score
I'm a long time Eset user as well. It works well even with Windows defender on - does not slow me down or crash. Eset 4 2010 is perfect for Windows 7. :)

Reaction score
Let's see if your RAM is set right in the bios. Attach 2 screenshots of CPU-Z in tabs "memory" and "spd".

Also, give link to a web page or .pdf file with the RAM specs.
Unsure if I can find a web page of it, as it is unbranded and bought it off a friend.
Its standard ram, 4GB DDR3 1333mhz.

Also, thanks for the response guys. However, since I swapped the graphics card over I still haven't had any problems. It has almost been a day, but i'll keep it in here for a few more days to make sure.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you install SIW (See our Freeware DB) it will give a lot of detail about your memory brand etc.

If at some point you want to pop in your new graphics card and get it working then provide the driver info as requested and someone might be able to help you further.

If you are satisfied your issue is resolved for now, please go to thread tools just above the first post on the page and mark this thread solved.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'm a long life (life long??) ESET man.
Just make sure that you've disabled Windows Defender if you keep ESET running. They don't fit well together in my experience.
I'm a long time Eset user as well. It works well even with Windows defender on - does not slow me down or crash. Eset 4 2010 is perfect for Windows 7. :)
There you go. Two wrongs do make a right!! :D

Ask a Question