Can't login/on computer keeps re-starting

Reaction score
PLEASE help! I'd like to fix my computer by myself (if possible) as I really don't have the money to pay a pro. I'm not computer tech saavy.
My computer keeps re-starting itself. Normal login screen will come up and before I can type in my password it will re-start and safe mode login comes up. Same happens with that screen... Before or shortly after entering my password the computer re-starts itself. It alternates between normal and safe mode. Once in awhile it will accept my password and the welcome screen will come up, but then blinks and the whole re-starting biz starts again.
If this helps I get the following on a blue screen once in awhile.
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Stop: 0x0000003B (0x00000000C0000005, 0xFFFFF880044488B4, 0xFFFFF880054E9770, 0x0000000000000000)
GUCI_AVS.sys - Address FFFFF880044488B4 base at FFFFF8800441F000, DateStamp 4ae93c24
Collecting data for crash dump...
Initializing disk for crash dump...
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 100
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Model: ASUS Notebook K40IJ/K5OIJ Series
Processor: Pentium (R) Dual-Core
CPU [email protected]
2.19GHz
(RAM): 3.00GB
Sys Type 64-bit Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

Reaction score
GUCI_AVS.sys - Generic USB Controller Interface (AVS) - PixArt Imaging Incorporation

Sounds like a bad driver, your .dmp files C:\Windows\Minidump could help. Attach them plz.

Unplug your USB devices except keyboard/mouse. Use Safe Mode or Startup repair (with 7 install DVD).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You did not state if you can actually get into a stabilised safe mode? Hopefully you will know how to collect the .dmp files without getting as far as the desktop?
You may be able to stop it from restarting, but if you can get to safe mode, but Cybercore's suggestion does not work for you, ( If you can get into safe mode, then no prob - you can post the .dmps), open the Control Panel (icon view) - System - Advanced system settings (over on the left panel). Click the "Advanced" tab and then "Startup and recovery". - settings.

Untick the option "Automatically restart"

Reaction score
Yes, agreed to all the above.

Definitely first, uninstall PixArt software from safe mode and then reboot.

Follow other advice if necessary after. If that is the only driver causing you issues, following my post will easily make it all well.

While in safe mode, check C:\Windows\System32\drivers for the GUCI_AVS.sys file. Delete it then reboot if it is still there.

Ask a Question