SOLVED Comodo AV - a question of speed

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been using Comodo AV my XP based notebook. Nibs suggested it to me as an alternative to Avast, as the free version does not protect you fully (when making transactions).

I like Comodo, but I have a question. When I installed it on my notebook, I configured the wireless connection to go through their more "secure" servers (changing some kind of wireless ID#). No problem with the security, but the download speed is much slower than before (almost 70%), and I believe it's their servers that's causing the issue.

Is it really worth the extra measure to use their servers? The reason that I ask is, I'm considering replacing MSE 2.0 with Comodo AV (w/o the firewall) on my evaluation version of Windows 7 first, if it goes well, then I'll install it on my main version of 7 Pro.

But not at this kind of loss of speed.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
So far, so good. I like Comodo's approach to scanning, it totally scans the filesystem. For example, just the critical area scan took nearly 30 minutes.

Somethings I'll just have to get used to. All of those popups, asking you to run a program in the sandbox, whatever that is. I'll look it up and figure it out. But on my desktop, I chose not to use Comodo's servers, they're too slow for me.

I'll try it out for a while, mabye it will be a good option to include in the Free Software Database. However, I want to make sure it's doing it's job first. I have other scanners to check behind it with.

Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
The sandbox is an area created to run the program but keeps it insulated from critical system files.
If you become infected in the sand box, your system stays safe.
Just close the program and the sandbox is erased.

(Or something like that.:))

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The sandbox is for apps you're not certain about so it segregates them.

Kinda like Yodap when he forgets to put a link to w8forums in his thread! LOL!

Anytime you choose those servers it will slow down the web connection.

Just don't use them.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks yodap & Nibs for your input. On my desktop, I chose not to use Comodo's servers, but on my wireless notebook (which by chance was getting infected the most) I use them. Speed is not critical on it for me.

What I'm trying to get used to is the constant popups on my trusted apps. Otherwise, it seems to be going good.

Thanks Nibs, for recommending this AV to me. It has found a couple of things that MSE missed, and seems to scan more completely in less time.

There was a member on this forum, promoted to Moderator, who thought that MSE was the cure all for everything from BSOD's to an ingrown toe nail. While it's safer than some AV's, it's not a cure all solution for everyone's issues. The answer for everything was to update a driver and install MSE.

If MSE is actually that great, we'd all be using it, but that's far from the case.

Cat

Reaction score
Things just evolve all the time I think Cat. Av's I once used I don't use anymore.Some that still get good reviews did not work for me. So much changes both in the product and the system it runs in that every so often you need to make changes.
Be nice if one could just set and forget but it does not seem to be that way.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Cat - on those pop-ups that keep showing up for the same trusted apps, there's a box to check stating: Don't ask about this again. Check that box. I believe there is one that also states: Always trust this app.

Look at the box carefully before just clicking it and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Comodo has a rather robust and speedy scanning engine, that's why it's usually faster.

G DATA uses two scanning engines.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Kinda like Yodap when he forgets to put a link to w8forums in his thread! LOL!
What what.

Next time I'll include detailed directions and maybe "twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one"
and you and I can get a cup of coffee at Alice's Restaurant you old fart. :D

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
What what.

Next time I'll include detailed directions and maybe "twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one"
and you and I can get a cup of coffee at Alice's Restaurant you old fart. :D
We can have anything we want at Alice's Restaurant... excepting Alice! ;) :handkiss: :girlshit:

I take biscuits and sausage gravy, two eggs over medium, two sausage patties, and hash browns with toast and marmalade, coffee and a big glass of V-8!

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm beginning to get the hang of it now, after all of the red flags thrown. Depending on the app, I either run it in the sandbox, or select it as a trusted app. I have a few programs that doesn't have whatever digital signature that it wants (I use ImgBurn on a frequent basis), that is a trusted app.

Also, I've found that on my desktop, I don't need their servers, so there is no loss in speed. However on my notebook, I bit the bullet and use them, as it's the one that's always picking up viruses & trojans. Hopefully, it'll help.

I do like the way it scans, one minor issue that I have is with scheduled scans. When the "critical area" scan runs, my CPU usage shoots to between 90-100% almost instantly. This may have more to do with my low powered CPU than the program itself. When this scan runs, it takes a while, so I may change that from daily to twice a week. I always run a full scan weekly anyway, as well as with the ESET Online Scanner. So far, ESET hasn't found anything that Comodo has missed, so it must be doing it's job.

Thanks again Nibs, for suggesting Comodo to me.

Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This AV (Comodo) may be good for some, probably those who has higher power (CPU) computers. Whenever it runs a scheduled or manual scan, the CPU constantly runs at or near 100%, and after only a few minutes, the fan comes roaring in. This AV is no doubt a resource hog, with only a web page open, and the AV is scanning, it (the CPU) shouldn't be running at 100%. It takes nearly three hours to do a complete scan, and I just don't want to run my system that wide open in order to run a virus scan.

When I run VM's, it's not that bad, it'll wait for at least an hour before the fan runs full speed.

What I'll probably do, since the ESET Online Scanner works well for me, is to download a trial of the full install. I believe it's NOD32, or a similar name. If I like what I see, and it's not a resource hog, I'll just buy it. They do run specials at times.

What I do want to avoid, is going back to MSE. While it's certainly better than nothing, and probably better than many of the "free" AV's, it lacks some of the controls that I like, and it's not intercepting the bad code as good as it once did.

As much money as I've spent on hard drives and other accessories for my computer, and other things also, I can afford a paid AV. So what, I eat out one less time per year, it probably would be good for me to skip one of those high priced dinners, lose some weight, and be secure all year on my computer.

Thanks to all who has contributed to this thread.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
As much money as I've spent on hard drives and other accessories for my computer, and other things also, I can afford a paid AV.
OMG! Pigs now fly and Hell is selling Sno-Kones! :eek:

Cat is going to buy an AV or IS program:questionmark:

This possibly eclipses anything that may happen in 2012 such as meteor impacts, pole shifts, mass awareness, defeat of the New World Order, etc.

It's time to party! :party::dancing::elefant::dancing2::beer::cheers::stoned::bandit::ridinghorse:

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That is one of the most creative posts that I've seen from you, Nibs! Yes, it may eclipse all of those things, but it's really going to happen.

But today, I'm going to download the trial, as soon as I finish the work that I'm doing. I deleted my evaluation version of Windows 7 (Ultimate), installed Mint 9 64 bit, and installing some VM's, using VirtualBox. I no longer see the need to have two full installs of Win 7. Mainly what I was using it for was to evaluate software, and ran VM's.

Mint 64 bit, is a lot lighter than any version of Windows, there's no wait for that blue neon circle to get through, when you fire it up, it's ready. VM's run very well on it.

As soon as I get through here, I'll check out the link that yodap provided. I want to evaluate the trial, and see if it's for me.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
A good deal right now.

Eset Nod 32 at Newegg for 29.99 for a 3 license box. I believe it's a 1 year subscription. Just AV no firewall.

I've used it in the past and liked it.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=377&name=Software-Security
Does a three license box mean that I can install it on three separate OS's or computers? If so, I can protect my notebook, too.

Nibs, do you still run this AV? I believe that at one time you did. If so, how do/did you like it?

Cat

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I liked ESET, small footprint and fast scan engines. It is just that I only had it for a 3 month trial basis, so I had to move on to something I could afford is all. That's when I went with G DATA.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Well, the scan went so well, the CPU never broke the 70% mark, and was well under that for most of the scan (around 50-60%). The fan NEVER came on full speed during the scan, either.

Nibs, the New World Order was just defeated, as I bought the AV from the link that yodap provided. That was one helluva deal, a $40 instant discount off the price, making it $29.99 with free shipping.

That was the price that Avast was selling their "Pro", or whatever they called their "full" AV, and a couple of times it was offered for $19.99. Having used Avast a very long time, it was very tempting to buy it. However, the ESET online scanner intercepted things that Avast missed, and no false alarms.

Going back to the price, for a three license AV, and a very reliable brand at that, $29.99 for a year is a lot cheaper than I expected. Because on the ESET site, it costs a lot more than that, just for the AV. I didn't price the total security package, as I've found the Windows Firewall adequate for my needs, and just don't care to play with what works just fine (for me).

As for the install, it was a breeze, it was more trouble getting rid of MSE 2.0 than anything. Had to use Revo Uninstaller Pro. I also dropped Ad-Aware, as it was suggested not to have a live AV installed. Personally, I liked Ad-Aware better than MSE, and got a promo email from them, their Pro version for $29.99.

I really didn't want to purchase an AV, but never could find a free one that I really felt comfortable with. For a while, I did with MSE, but as it's popularity grew, it just couldn't keep up with all of the bad code on the net. Ad-Aware seems fine, but you only get so much for free, and that's it.

The bottom line, I guess, is that you get what you pay for. That's the way it's always been, and the way it always will be.

Thanks to all who has contributed to this thread, especially yodap for providing the link for the product, and Nibs, who displayed one of the most creative posts that I've ever seen on any forum. It was really funny!

Cat

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I really lucked up on this deal, were it not for checking my email at the time I did, regarding this thread, I would've been out of luck.

The ESET NOD32 AV that I ordered this afternoon is SOLD OUT. The single version that's available from Newegg is $10 more than the three pack was.

An edit to my prior post, Ad-Aware's promo for $29.99 is for it's Total Internet Security, at the Pro version's regular price. Had I read the details more carefully, I probably would have bought that one last week. My thinking over the last two weeks has been leaning towards a paid solution.

I hope that when my first year subscription is nearing it's end, I'll get a promo price to renew. To play it safe, I'll stick another $5 per month in my stash so that I'll have it covered.

Cat

Last edited:

Ask a Question