Can't log in, lost admin password, no recovery disc

Reaction score
My friends PC is not allowing anyone to log in. The location suffered a power outage then, after power was restored, someone shutdown the pc. Now the admin password will not work, guest accout is not functioning, and there is no recovery disc. Does getting into cmd and going into safemode really work? Any suggestions would help. Also, is there a way to tell which version of OS is on the machine so, I can convince the owner to get a new copy.

Thank you,
WunderMyk

Reaction score
RE : PC is not allowing anyone to log in.......Now the admin password will not work.
What is the error message. Please post it verbatim.

RE: Does getting into cmd and going into safe mode really work?
One member said it worked for him under similar situation. It was, still is, a surprise to me.
How to go to safe mode with command prompt:
Restart your computer > immediately and repeatedly tap at F8 key until you see a black and white screen. That is your Safe Mode screen.
Use the arrow key and select Safe Mode with Command Prompt. > Enter.
Now login to your admin account.
Are you successful logging in?
Please reply before I continue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
RE : is there a way to tell which version of OS is on the machine
If the owner has kept all the papers, user guide, manual, etc etc, one of those papers might have the computer specs listed and the OS version also listed. ( My Acer Aspire Z77412 did.)

Otherwise, you'll need to login to the computer before you can find out the OS version.
The computer manufacturer might be able to help if you can supply all the required information.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Windows 7 has a hidden default administrator account and when there is no "user created" administrator account recognized by the system then safe mode should allow you access to this default ADMINISTRATOR account. So in some situations Safe Mode might work. But if W7 still sees you have an administrator but just doesn't like the password then I don't think it will help much.

You might also try this Windows Password Remover and see if it is able to get you access.

Unfortunately if that does not work then your best option is probably going to be to reinstall W7.

Ask a Question