BSOD Can't Log In Unless in Safe Mode

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've been getting this BSOD for about 2 weeks now and have not realized my computer works in safe mode until right now. :eek: Anyway, I don't know what exactly caused the problem but I have the details of the BSOD below. If I log on normally then it brings up my desktop then after about 5 seconds shows the BSOD. I have tried a system restore and it told me it could not be completed, so that did not work... So here are the details, to any help out there thank you in advance! Oh and if it helps I have a Toshiba computer satellite : C655D-S5518

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: FFFFF800038D4915
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\110312-31418-01.dmp
C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-83741-0.sysdata.xml

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You need to zip up C:\Windows\Minidump\110312-31418-01.dmp and, using "Go Advanced", attach the zipped dump to your next post.

Also run virus scan as described in the How to get BSOD assistance thread.

Also provide more detail: Did your computer come with W7 or did you upgrade to it? If upgraded, how long ago? How long did it work fine since W7? and how long has it been acting up? Any recent changes: hardware? software?

Reaction score
You need to zip up C:\Windows\Minidump\110312-31418-01.dmp and, using "Go Advanced", attach the zipped dump to your next post.

Also provide more detail: Did your computer come with W7 or did you upgrade to it? If upgraded, how long ago? How long did it work fine since W7? and how long has it been acting up? Any recent changes: hardware? software?
My computer came with W7, my last upgrade was 10/11/12, it worked and ran well before the error, it has been acting up for a month or two, no changed to hardware but i have downloaded steam and tunngle since the update. It appears that when I restore the computer back to a time before the last update or two it works.. if thats any use

Reaction score

View attachment 110312-31418-01.zip < here is the .dmp file as well, thank you

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Out-dated drivers cause a lot of issues. You have something from Arcsoft with old (Pre-W7 release) drivers (afc.sys, archlp.sys). I don't know it is the problem but it could be. If this software sounds familiar and is recent then please try uninstalling it.

Or it could be a virus hiding as those driver names. Please be sure to do a complete virus scan in safe-mode as described HERE.

FYI: Your AMD ATI video drivers are about 17 months old and should also be updated.

And if you get another BSOD please post the new DMP

Reaction score
Out-dated drivers cause a lot of issues. You have something from Arcsoft with old (Pre-W7 release) drivers (afc.sys, archlp.sys). I don't know it is the problem but it could be. If this software sounds familiar and is recent then please try uninstalling it.

Or it could be a virus hiding as those driver names. Please be sure to do a complete virus scan in safe-mode as described HERE.

FYI: Your AMD ATI video drivers are about 17 months old and should also be updated.

And if you get another BSOD please post the new DMP
Thank you very much for your help. I uninstalled Arcsoft and fixed the one threat to my computer. I also updated my driver. There is still a windows update, although my computer is running well now, do you still recommend updating to the most current version of windows?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are two types of updates, critical and recommended. Then there is a switch that says treat recommended updates the same as critical updates.

Well critical updates are important, primarily security updates and I think you should get those.

Recommended updates can be most anything, sometimes it's drivers, which 99% of the time are right and are a good idea but on the rare occasion it can FUBAR your machine. So you should be aware if you install recommended that it may include updated drivers. Like, I said, this is usually a good thing too but I prefer to get recommended manually so I know what is being installed on my machine.

So yes, get the updates but consider turning off treat recommended the same as critical. But then remember to run those manually sometimes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are two types of updates, critical and recommended. Then there is a switch that says treat recommended updates the same as critical updates.

Well critical updates are important, primarily security updates and I think you should get those.

Recommended updates can be most anything, sometimes it's drivers, which 99% of the time are right and are a good idea but on the rare occasion it can FUBAR your machine. So you should be aware if you install recommended that it may include updated drivers. Like, I said, this is usually a good thing too but I prefer to get recommended manually so I know what is being installed on my machine.

So yes, get the updates but consider turning off treat recommended the same as critical. But then remember to run those manually sometimes.
Do you know if any of these updates are important? (they are all recommended) Updates.JPG

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
See that Bing desktop one is BS. I don't think they should be slipping that stuff into updates. If you want it, install it but if not then right-click on it and say "Hide update".

KB####### are fixes to certain issues, like one of those is so you can remote connect with Win8 machines. If they don't come as critical then it's not a vulnerability in the machine, just something you might need. I installed them just in case I ever need them.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

I was wondering how you were going with you problem. Fixed??

Did you update the following:

Afc.sys Wed Jul 12 15:48:20 2006 (44B48D24)
Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell (CD/DVD program)
http://www.arcsoft.com/public/download.asp

archlp.sys Fri Feb 6 23:39:29 2009 (498C2F81)
Arcsoft Total Media Player driver
http://www.arcsoft.com/en-us/download.asp?id=DOWNLOAD

GEARAspiWDM.sys Mon May 18 22:17:04 2009 (4A1151C0)
CD-ROM Class Filter Driver by Gear Software.[br]Also comes with iTunes
http://www.gearsoftware.com

FwLnk.sys Tue Jul 7 10:51:41 2009 (4A529C1D)
Toshiba Firmware Linkage service system driver (included in the Toshiba Value Added Package)
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp#

TVALZ_O.SYS Tue Jul 14 12:19:26 2009 (4A5BEB2E)
TOSHIBA ACPI-Based Value Added Logical and General Purpose Device Driver
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp#

Last edited:

Ask a Question