Cannot change Network location

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have a problem in changing a network location.

I basically have our Home Network, which works fine. Recently we have added a program to allows us to connect via VPN to another network, but on installing that program I was not given the option to choose a network location, instead the system allocated it the Public location, which is not what I want.

Now I am not that good with computers, so please bear with me here. Can you have to Networks set as Home? If so, how can I change my location?

I have tried to change it via the Network and Sharing Center, but the Public Network will not allow me to click on it. When clicking on the Icon (Bench in this case) a dialogue box opens apparently giving me the option to change the name, but I am unable to do so.

I really need to get this sorted as at the moment I am unable to access the internet properly through that network.

Thanks for any help any of you can supply!

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Location? by that you mean the type defined for the network address?

You should be able to do it by looking at that bench image in the network and sharing center, and clicking the blue link beside it that says "Public Network", which will bring up a list for you to change it from Public to Home, or even a Work Network.

Reaction score
Thanks Ace, but as I stated above there is no hyperlink next to the network location for me to click. I am therefore unable to change it from Public to Home.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Post a screenshot of your Network and sharing center so I can see...

Reaction score
You mean no link appear in Network and Sharing Center under the View your active networks? there may Home, Work or Public Network link. Else, you can try Choose Homegroup and sharing option below the page and click What is a network location?.

Reaction score
Hi Ace, will post screenshot tonight when back at home.

Maziye, the public network does not show a link for me to click on in order to change it from public to home.

Ask a Question