Cannot Change Boot Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I downloaded the RC from the microsoft site. While attempting to install every is good and going well and I am doing an custom install which is supposed to be a clean install. I get really far in after expanding files and a couple reboots and whie completeling the installation near the end i recieve the error:

Windows could not change the boot configuration. Windows installation cannot continue.

I have looked around for the answer and it requires you to go into registry and change some things. However I can no longer get back into the orginal OS because I choose to do a clean install rather than an upgrade. Cause I felt this would be the best option for me. I just bought a new hard drive hopeing it will fix the problem but I would rather not use it.

is there any way to fix this problem without a new harddrive? And is there a way to wipe the hard drive for a true clean install without being able to get into the OS? Thanks for any help

2.6GHz 64 x2 AMD 5400+
4GB OCz Ram
500GB Seagate Barrcuda Harddrive (new one and old one)
8800 GT x2 SLi
M2N-SLi

Reaction score
you could try and boot off the cd, and try and go into the repair console. and repair the boot configuration that way

Reaction score
I booted again off the CD and tried to do a repair instead of installation and after it goes through it says:

Windows found errors. It will attempt to restart and fix the problems

something along the lines of that. after it reboots i then receive the message that says Windows encountered a unexpected restart and cannot continue restart the computer and then restart the installation and I always end up back at the boot config problem. So im hoping fix that problem and I wont run into this problem but idk

Reaction score
Are you trying to dual boot your computer? Windows 7 has changed the way it handles the hard drive partitions and I personally have experienced severe issues myself with trying to install more than one operating system on the same drive in different partitions. It is best that you install 7 on a seperate drive all by itself.

To do a complete, true, full, and clean install of 7, there are advanced disk options when it asks you what drive you want to install 7 on. Use these advanced disk options to delete any and all partitions on the drive and then install.

As always when changing your disk configurations, ie. partitions, bootsec, etc.... make certain that you BACKUP your data FIRST!

Reaction score
create restart v7 and automatic start of weside in task scheduler. How? :dontknow:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
tps, this thread is over 2 yrs old and was for the w7 "release candidate" so I am closing the thread.

If you still have a question please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question