Cannot change keyboard layout

Reaction score
I inadvertently downloaded and installed the US version of Windows 7 instead of the UK version I cannot change the keyboard layout to English UK as no option is available, is there a way round this problem.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Jaycup, welcome to the forums :)

You should be able to change it by going to Control Panel > Change Keyboards or other Input Methods > Change Keyboards

Then click "Add" and browse to "English (United Kingdom)" and select the keyboard profile. Click OK and then remove the old US keyboard profile :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I should have mentioned that I had already tried to change the keyboard language via Control Panel but English US is the only option offered. I should also add that I am running Windows 7 as a guest operating system on Windows XP (host) on a 'Virtual Box' set up and maybe this is why there are no options open to me , although I cannot figure out why this would be.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's strange, so when you click add you are only offered English (US)? There should be an option to update and add languages via Windows update on the previous dialog box - have you tried that? Perhaps they bundle keyboard layouts with the language packs.

I tested it using Virtualbox and I could get it working OK. I can't remember downloading a GB specific version of Windows 7, but I am using a UK keyboard myself. Could you please post a screenshot when you get to the "add" page? :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the support. The problem is solved but I cannot give you a precise report as to how . I have been doing a lot of experimenting and adding and removing features programs etc as well as trying to install some of my favourite tweaks from XP, so I decided to use System Restore and turn the clock back as far as I could two days as it happened. After the re-boot I found all the language options were available. I have now set the keyboard for UK English.

Thanks again for the terrific support and fast responses.

Reaction score
I thought Win7 was an International version and you select the keyboard etc on installation. That's how mine was.
Anyhow, from Control Panel take Regional & Language options then Change Keyboards then Add then you'll see a whole list of alternative keyboards!

Oops! Beaten to it! ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you're up and running with it :D System restore is one of the best features of Windows IMO, it has saved my bacon a good few times ;)

Reaction score
How right you are but when it was first introduced i had many problems with it because of it's unreliability. when I was really dependent on it it would fail and give the message "system cannot be restored etc.etc." but nowadays it really is much more stable and reliable.I am only sorry I did not think of using it earlier. i shall carry on experimenting and tweaking because that is why I installed Windows 7 as a virtual machine. I think Virtual Box is excellent by the way.

Ask a Question