Can you install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Home Edition

Windows 7 Home Basic or Premium is it Supports for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008?

• Only Basic Edition Supports

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only Premium Edition Supports

• None of them Supports

• Supports Both (Home Basic and Home Premium)

• Only Windows 7 Professional Supports

• Only Windows 7 Ultimate Supports

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Related to Windows 7 Home Basic/Premium Editions with respect to Developer applications like Visual Studio, Sql Server, Biztalk Server

Last edited:
Reaction score
What is your question? I use Windows 7 Home Premium, what do you want to know?

Reaction score
The question is which edition of Windows support "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008"?

System Requirements:
  • Hard Drive Space: 5400 RPM hard drive with 2.2 GB free
  • Operating System: Windows® 7, Vista, XP w/ SP2, or Server 2003 w/SP1 or R2
  • Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
  • RAM: 384 MB (768 MB required for Vista)
  • Graphics: 1024x768 screen resolution
  • Other: DVD-ROM drive
Quote from this link - Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Full Version

That would mean all editions of Windows 7

Reaction score
What is your question? I use Windows 7 Home Premium, what do you want to know?
Hi.. I am thinking to buy a new laptop come with Windows 7 Home Basic/Premium OS.
I am a developer, currently using visual studio 2008 on Windows XP professional, I am expecting same working nature on windows 7,
Is it Home editions supports for development platform like visual studio or we have to upgrade to windows 7 Professional or Ultimate edition for this.

Reaction score
Hi.. I am thinking to buy a new laptop come with Windows 7 Home Basic/Premium OS.
I am a developer, currently using visual studio 2008 on Windows XP professional, I am expecting same working nature on windows 7,
Is it Home editions supports for development platform like visual studio or we have to upgrade to windows 7 Professional or Ultimate edition for this.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would not go less than Home Premium.

Since you are migrating from XP you might consider getting Professional in case there is any older software you use that won't run in native W7; in which case you can likely run them in the free download from Microsoft called Virtual PC - XP mode (But, If you still have XP discs and license you can use other companies free Virtual PC environments, which don't require Professional or higher like Microsoft's)

If you use the Group policy editor, know that it is only available in Professional or Ultimate.

For some more comparisons of the versions check out THIS.

You also need to consider 64 or 32-bit. If your new machine will have more than 3GB of memory then I would suggest 64-bit because 32-bit can only see a max of 3.25GB, but know that if you have any old 16-bit apps they will only run in a Virtual PC - XP environment under W7-64. In general if your machine can support it then I suggest 64 but try running the W7 upgrade advisor on your current machine just to see if your software or extra hardware, like your printer, are W7 compatible in 32 or 64 (make sure everything is connected and turned on).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi.. My question is simple and Strictly related to Windows 7 OS.
Forgot Versions in below mentioned Application,OS bits and Memory.
Q: Can we able to install Visual Studio, Biztalk Server, Sql Server, Azura like this developer applications on Home Editions or We need to go higher Versions like W7 Professional or W7 Ultimate?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the software will install on W7 AT ALL (i.e. if it is W7 compatible) then it will install in any version. If it is 16-bit software then it will NOT install on any 64-bit version (without P mode).

Run the W7 Upgrade Advisor on your current XP machine which has Visual Studio, Biztalk Server, Sql Server, and Azura installed and the advisor will tell you if that version is W7 compatible or if you will need to upgrade to a more current version. If it IS compatible then it won't care if it is Home/Pro/Ult.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
ravindra.pc, I've cleaned up your double/triple posts on this - please only create one thread per issue in future please :)

Ask a Question