SOLVED Can not find Minidump folder in Win7 64-bit Ult

Reaction score
I am new to the Forums but not to Windows. However, I have a customer who I've built a custom machine and he has had a few BSODs I presumed that I would find the small memory dump logs in the folder. Unfortunately, I can not find that folder. My question is, where did it go or somehow was it not activated? Or what? Kind of perplexed ATM ...

AKHandyman

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Hi AKHandyman and Welcome to The Forum.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:
Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
OK your way out.
Reboot if changes have been made.

The .dmp files are located at C:\Windows\Minidump. Until a .dmp file is generated, the Minidump folder may not exist.

Reaction score
I have done everthing you have mentioned Above, and Minidup. file is till docent show.
Could you have any Idea why such file still not show, please?

I use W7 x64 Home Pro.
Thank you!

Note:
How can I generated, the Minidump folder to appear!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
squirtmph, is your computer abnormally terminating (BSODs) because that is the only time a minidump will be created. Also, it is probably a protected system folder so try enabling "show hidden files, folders".

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi guys im having the same problem no minidump, but i dont get a BOSD just my PC turn off randomly
My setting was

but dint work so i see in this page some tips:

If minidumps are still not being created check these reasons as to why that may be happening
For dumps to be produced The following should be correct
Page file must be on the same drive as your operating system
Page file base allocation size must be greater than installed physical RAM
Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service should be set to MANUAL
Set page file to system managed on the OS drive
Set system crash/recovery options to "kernel memory dump"
User account control must be running.

In both settings:

Windows Error Reporting (WER) system service was alread set to MANUAL.
i create an Minidump folder by my self on C:\Windows\Minidump
Im w8ting to see if second set will work.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Healt, could you tell us the source of your information because I do not believe the info on UAC settings or page file is accurate.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please change your settings to allow Windows to manage your pagefile.

Reaction score
sure but my old setting was Windows to manage your pagefile i gonna change back:
I gonna try this:

Everytime my PC crash him dont generate any Blue screen it off instantly and I have to manually turn on. Him generate everytime an Log but dont generate an minidump
Btw i put Errors.evtx into https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=96F3137B4293E765!108

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Reaction score
Looks like i cant click becouse appear this "is not a valid win32 application"

I did all steps in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;969028
How to obtain a utility to automate the registry keys and paging files
  1. Download DumpConfigurator.hta from the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://www.codeplex.com/WinPlatTools/SourceControl/changeset/view/14600#256939
  2. Click Download, and then click I Agree after you read the Microsoft Software License Terms.
  3. Save the WInPlatTools-14600.zip file, and then extract the DumpConfigurator.hta utility.
  4. Click DumpConfigurator.hta, and then click Auto Config Complete.

I also check in this article

BIOS level server hardware recovery mechanism
Some computers have a feature at the BIOS level to do hardware recovery. For example, a computer may have one of the following features:
  • An Automatic System Recovery (ASR) feature is available on some Hewlett Packard (HP) servers. If ASR exists, disable it. ASR can interrupt the dump process. On an HP server, you can disable ASR by modifying the BIOS settings. If this feature is enabled and if the BIOS does not detect a heartbeat from the operating system, it typically restarts the computer within 10 minutes.
  • Dell computers have the same feature, and it is called Dell Special Administration Console (SAC) or !SAC.
  • IBM computers have the same feature, and it is called RSA II (OS) watchdogs.
  • Fujitsu, NEC, Samsung, Unisys, and other server hardware manufacturers may have a similar feature in their servers.

And i have some .dmp files into those folders
C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG
Like example WD-20131009-0647.dmp
and
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue
Like example
WD-20131005-1042.dmp
but those .dmp files are not created everytime and i check some......and they dont have the same time as log viewer critical erros of kernel power 41
Im not sure if my GA-Z87X-UD3H have any feature like ASR enable, i did check but i dont found anything like but im not sure since i dont understand everything about my BIOS since there are so many thing on my BIOS.

I have this kernel power 41 problem for almost 4 years alread in 3 diferents PC
Click here - My Spec [1°PC Blue,2°PC Red,[New]3°PC Purple]
Click here - My Everest / Bios

in every PC i had the problem starts between 15 to 15 days and then week by week until shutting 1-3 days (it takes up about 6 months to keep restarting daily). Usually happens 7am each morning or when I'm not using the PC. When I turn on my PC 15 minutes after the PC shuts down again sometimes.

Whenever my PC off, no blue screen appears and my Nobreak makes a brief whistle, recently put in Safe mode for 4 days and the problem did not happen.
I tryed alot of things over those 4 years but none work.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, lets just focus on one thing at a time.

Right click on DumpConfigurator.hta
Open With -> Internet Explorer. -> Run -> Run -> Allow.

Let me know if that works.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, but unfortunately you needed to set the "Memory Dump Type" to Kernel.

If you set it to "Complete" it will include the entire contents of your Memory, which can be in the Gigabytes.

Reaction score

ok now i gonna reboot on thing i notice was my old initial file was 20300 now is 20667

Reaction score
I just restated and check again for see if everything is ok, looks like my page file is back to old number and it will not generate an minidump but will generate an MEMORY.DMP. i stay with those setting or should i click on auto config kernel and restart and check if it will now generate an minidump ?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate, it's ok. Has the system crashed?

The Memory.dmp file is the correct one. But instead of it being Gigabytes it will be around 270kb when the system crashes.

So when the computer crashes, put the memory.dmp file in a zip file and upload it to the forum.

Reaction score

Today early crash but i think next crash only tomorrow its like 1-2 crashs per day since today alread crash twice i dont think gonna crash soon:
Nível Crítico 15/02/2014 16:46:12 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Nível Crítico
15/02/2014 12:27:55 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Nível Crítico
14/02/2014 15:49:34 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Nível Crítico
14/02/2014 15:18:18 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Nível Crítico
14/02/2014 13:45:29 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Nível Crítico
13/02/2014 07:41:10 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Nível Crítico
12/02/2014 17:23:37 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Nível Crítico
12/02/2014 15:36:53 Kernel-Power 41 (63)
Nível Crítico
12/02/2014 13:57:17 Kernel-Power 41 (63)

Ask a Question