SOLVED win 7 can't find wifi network

Reaction score
I bought a refurbished HP desktop computer. When i booted it up i couldn't find any wireless networks. upon further investigation i discovered that only dial up and broadband were offered. I sent it back and bought a comparable acer. i love it but i hate win 10 so I installed win 7 pro. When I booted up guess what? same thing! However in this case i had wifi when win 10 was installed. anyone else heard of this and if so is there a fix?

Reaction score
It sounds like the wifi driver is missing. Go to Device Manager and look for Network adapters. Do you see Unknown Device in the Network adapters section? If so, right click on Unknown Devive and click on Properties. A new window will pop up. Click on the Details tab near to top. You will see Property, under Property, click the down arrow to the right and choose Hardware Ids. Under Value, you will see a list of letters and numbers. Right click the first line in the list and choose Copy.

Next go to Google, right click in the search bar and click Paste. Do a search for that first item in the list. That should tell you the make and model of your wifi adapter.

Next go to Acer's website and look up the model number of your computer. Look for drivers, and you should see the wifi driver for your computer. Download the wifi driver and install it.

The reason I had you look up the make and model first is because sometimes they will list two or three wifi adapters for the same model computer. This way you will know which one to download.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It sounds like the wifi driver is missing. Go to Device Manager and look for Network adapters. Do you see Unknown Device in the Network adapters section? If so, right click on Unknown Devive and click on Properties. A new window will pop up. Click on the Details tab near to top. You will see Property, under Property, click the down arrow to the right and choose Hardware Ids. Under Value, you will see a list of letters and numbers. Right click the first line in the list and choose Copy.

Next go to Google, right click in the search bar and click Paste. Do a search for that first item in the list. That should tell you the make and model of your wifi adapter.

Next go to Acer's website and look up the model number of your computer. Look for drivers, and you should see the wifi driver for your computer. Download the wifi driver and install it.

The reason I had you look up the make and model first is because sometimes they will list two or three wifi adapters for the same model computer. This way you will know which one to download.

Reaction score
Okay guys, here is what happened:
I reinstalled win 10 and I have internet. It seems to be a problem with win 7.
I downloaded Classic Shell and got my win 7 start menu back. I downloaded a solid color background for my desktop because I find anything else distracting. I am at peace with my computer and with win 10 which makes my wife happy too.
Thanks for your efforts, I really appreciate it. I have one problem left and that is that there are no internal speakers or mic but I will Take that up with Acer Recertified in the morning.
I am sure I will be in need of assistance soon. I keep Ubuntu forums busy. Again, Thanks. unktim

Ask a Question