SOLVED Can I upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit?

Reaction score
Good morning users, I am currently running Windows 7 Professional on my Toshiba Satellite P300 and was wondering if it was possible to upgrade to Professional 64 bit.

My specs are :-

System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, 2166 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA V3.00, 05/03/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.87 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.07 GB
Total Virtual Memory 3.74 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.56 GB

Hope to hear news soon.

Thankyou

Andrewsean85

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That CPU is x64 capable (see here), so Windows 7 Pro x64 will work fine. However, as you've only got 2GB RAM there won't be a large benefit from using it.

If you're planning to upgrade your memory at some point in the future, or have some specific x64 applications then it may be worth installing the new OS. You'll need to perform a clean install to do this though.

Reaction score
So in theory, I indeed can upgrade my OS to Professional 64? I think I can benefit from upgrading as my father also has 64 Professional on his machines and laptop. Would there be any issues to upgrading? I will be upgrading the memory on my laptop asap!

Thankyou

Andrewsean85

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, you can upgrade to Windows 7 pro x64 with that CPU :). I don't think you'll notice a performance boost just from switching bit versions, but if you are going to have 4GB+ RAM (for intensive work) then it would make sense.

It looks like there are lots of P300 drivers for W7 x64 already listed on the Toshiba support site (http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/home/ - just click support on the left).

Reaction score
Thankyou very much for the help guys, very much appreciated!

Looks like ill be upgrading to 64 then!

So my laptop wouldn't be slow with it running 64, or would I still get the performance I get now?

Andrewsean85

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
My desktop currently has "only" 2Gb of ram and I have no issues whatsoever.

Mind, I don't use it for games (X-box) or films (T.V).

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I can't answer that, I've never tried.
Well, apart from the poor quality (ahem) sports videos I've downloaded that is.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My desktop currently has "only" 2Gb of ram and I have no issues whatsoever.
My g/f's PC also uses 2GB quite happily - I just meant "only 2gb" in the context of using the x64 version (as in, > ~3.5GB should use x64).

Just thought I should clarify in case I look like a "RAM Snob" :lol:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'd say yes. Obviously you'll be better off with 4Gb but don't let the fact that at the moment you're running 2Gb hold you back from going 64bit.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No, I ment the previous post about being a ram snob. So I won't have any problems at all having just 2GB?
No you won't have any issues with 2GB of RAM with the 64-bit install. That's the minimum recommended by Microsoft. I have installed 64-bit on several 2GB RAM systems with no issues at all.

Now when you decide to add another 2GB RAM to your setup, it will run a little faster and be more responsive, and you will notice it.

Just make sure the RAM upgrade matches your existing RAM in brand and type so there is no conflicts there.

Reaction score
So there will be no problems then? Would my laptop be slow? Just need to as much info as possible before I do upgrade to 64!

Andrewsean85

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
So there will be no problems then? Would my laptop be slow? Just need to as much info as possible before I do upgrade to 64!

Andrewsean85
No your laptop will not be slow at all, you may even notice an improvement with Windows 7.

What I was saying is that after you add the other 2GB of RAM you will notice an increase in responsiveness and such. However, it won't be a dramatic increase, just one that you'll notice.

Just be sure to get the correct and latest drivers for the laptop before proceeding and have them ready to install after you install Windows 7 x64.

Reaction score
Ok, will do! Thankyou very much :) Will I have to have the drivers ready on a pendrive or just download and install after installation of the Operating system?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Have them ready on the pendrive (flash thumb drive).

Be sure to load the chipset/video driver driver first after the Windows 7 install is done. This is the most critical one. Then proceed with your wireless drivers, sound, etc.

Ask a Question