Upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit but still showing 32bit files

saf

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have upgraded my Current Windows 7 to 64 bit but system still showing 32 bit files...any chance to removed those 32 bit files.

FYI,i have format the C: drive completely...

Reaction score
This folder (Program Files (x86)) is for backward compatibility, all older programs will install to this folder. This folder (Program Files) is where all 64-Bit Applications will install. The two folders are separated to minimize compatibility problems by placing 32-Bit and 64-Bit applications together.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And no you wouldn't want to remove them. There are many applications that are still only available in 32-bit but also work just fine under a 64-bit OS. Some applications such as IE8 (Internet Explorer 8) and WMP (Windows Media Player) are available in both the 32 and 64 bit versions and will exist in both directories.

Also, you don't need to specify which program files directory the installer should use when you do an install, the installer is smart enough to know.

Ask a Question