BSOD While playing games or watching video.

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been having BSOD errors while playing vid games in Steam and if I am watching Netflix. I have attached my mini dump file. I can also post an attachment using Bluescreen Viewer if needed

I have been having BSOD randomly but seems to have picked up in pace. I would appreciate any help.

Thank You.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I merged your two threads together since they were basically the same. I looked at the DMPs and nothing really stands out.

How long have you had this computer? When did the problems begin?

If it is a new computer I would check your memory is correct for the motherboard and the settings/voltages are correct. Then I would run Memtest86+.

If it was working fine for months and suddenly isn't, then I would scan for viruses as explained in my post HERE.

And if it isn't hardware or a virus then check the most likely cause which would be your drivers. Specifically, since it happens during videos and games, it is a good possibility it is related to your video card driver. Your video driver is dated August 29, 2013 so see if there is a more recent one for your card from AMD.

Reaction score
Hello Trainableman,
This is what I did so far.
1. Components of PC range from 2010-2014
2. Corsair memory that was recommended by ASUS
3. Virus free
4. I download two programs
a. BlueScreenViewer
b. WhoCrashed
5. After observing the report from WhoCrashed, was able to narrow down to a video driver
6. Uninstalled CCC by AMD and reinstalled
7. Removed all overclocking
There was the error that an unused driver was causing some issues (Hydravision), But I cannot find it
to remove it, as it is not listed in programs. Did a search and still cannot find it.
So I am now running a few more video tests to make sure that I am free from
the BSOD.
Thank you for all the help!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For the missing driver error on boot-up, try downloading and installing CCleaner. Then chose the second tab "Registry" and scan for issues, then fix the issues (when it offers to save a backup, do it; just to be safe). Reboot and see if the error goes away. If not, run CCleaner again and this time the third tab "tools" and take a screenshot of the startup tab and post it here.

Reaction score
Okay,
This is what I ended up doing only to have it surface again. I reinstalled win 7 (fresh install). After about 2 hours of running machine this is the error I received.
WhoCrashed says

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
On Tue 2/4/2014 5:05:18 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020314-25989-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x80640)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x91, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA800A3A8060, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
The driver switched stacks using a method that is not supported by the operating system. The only supported way to extend a kernel mode stack is by using KeExpandKernelStackAndCallout. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 2/4/2014 5:05:18 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xC4 (0x91, 0x0, 0xFFFFFA800A3A8060, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
Bug check description: This is the general bug check code for fatal errors found by Driver Verifier.
The driver switched stacks using a method that is not supported by the operating system. The only supported way to extend a kernel mode stack is by using KeExpandKernelStackAndCallout. This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion
2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dum

Attachments

Reaction score
BTW, I ran CCleaner and it made repairs to the registry, but the same thing happened again and I did a fresh install of Win 7. There are very few programs on PC right now.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There was no reason to reinstall W7. Both the files listed above are part of W7 and are NOT the cause of your problems, they just happened to be what caught the blame when something else caused the problem. As I said the most likely cause is hardware, such as RAM ... or drivers, most likely video.

You said you uninstalled the video driver and reinstalled it. That won't fix the problem if the driver is written poorly ... you need to install a different driver, not the same one; if a new driver is not available then check for a beta driver and if there is no beta then try an older version because the current driver is probably the problem. From you latest dump it does appear you may have a newer driver by a few days (Sept 11, 2013) but I would hope there is something even newer.

And just because you bought the recommended RAM does not mean you have it set to the right voltage or settings for your bus speed. Even if the settings are correct, it doesn't eliminate the common problem of a manufacturing defect. Whenever you install new RAM it is a good idea to test the machine with 6 - 10 passes with Memtest86+.

And from what I read, Hydravision is part of the multi-monitor stuff ATI used to use. When you reinstalled did you use the CD/DVD that came with your video card? You should not use the old software, normally you want the latest software available from the website.

Ask a Question