Brower issues , can anyone help ?

Reaction score
Hi all, new here thought id see if anyone could help me , I just got a new laptop with 64 bit system and have found that online purchases are now impossible as i cannot use paypal in the browsers ,it wont load in both versions of IE and firefox 3.5.5. Is there a browser in which i can get paypal to work ? Also my daughters are finding that lots of applications/games on social networking sites are no longer loading/accessible, i put this down to a java issue as most flash based games are working? Is it possible/advisable to downgrade to a 32 bit system ?

Thanks for any help :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Nuttybird & welcome to W7 Forums

My wife uses PayPal and her Browser is Opera > http://www.opera.com/ , as for downgrading to 32-bit that would mean a clean install.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Why not uninstall the 64 bit Firefox, download the regular (32 bit) one and start over with Firefox. As for IE, you have a built in choice. Click Start and you'll see your programs. There is an IE and an IE 64 bit. Just use the regular one. Or as Veedaz said, download Opera. It is really fast now, from the reviews that I've read. I used it months ago, but they have came a long way since then.

Reaction score
Hi Nuttybird - Welcome to w7forums

Just to clarify, are you using the 32-Bit or 64-Bit browsers?

Adobe is still working on the 64-Bit version of Flash Player for 64-Bit browsing. However the 32-Bit should work fine as long as the related plugins are installed.

Reaction score
I have Google Chrome installed on my Laptop and Desktop as it is so light and quick. I have been told the Opera is really quick too but are content with Chrome atm. IE... no comments to be had that wouldn't be censored! lol

You definitely don't need a 64 bit browser for a 64 bit system; strange you are having issues with paypal as I use the Australia Paypal site all the time on a 64 bit system with Chrome and have no issues at all. What internet security do you run? Do you have Zone alarm, Peer Guardian etc? You could be blocking the web page with something like that. Try to open webpage again and check in your system tray for changes to firewalls icons etc. Peer Guardian flashes when it is blocking a site and from memory I had to configure it to let me on Paypal.

Reaction score
Hi Nuttybird & welcome to W7 Forums

My wife uses PayPal and her Browser is Opera > http://www.opera.com/ , as for downgrading to 32-bit that would mean a clean install.

Thanks Veedaz , this is the error message i get while trying to log into paypal on opera, My connection is fine and my security software appears to be working correctly :(

Secure connection: fatal error (552)
https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/w...5dc241d84e953d0e88f8d71535079b246201019c8adab
Opera was not able to connect to the server. The server may be using the unsupported SSL 2 protocol, which is not considered safe enough for secure communication. The site owner should upgrade to TLS 1.0 or newer.
Make sure your Internet connection is active and check whether other applications that rely on the same connection are working.
Check that the setup of any Internet security software is correct and does not interfere with ordinary Web browsing.
If you are behind a firewall on a Local Area Network and think this may be causing problems, talk to your systems administrator.

Reaction score
Why not uninstall the 64 bit Firefox, download the regular (32 bit) one and start over with Firefox. As for IE, you have a built in choice. Click Start and you'll see your programs. There is an IE and an IE 64 bit. Just use the regular one. Or as Veedaz said, download Opera. It is really fast now, from the reviews that I've read. I used it months ago, but they have came a long way since then.

Hi catilley , im not sure as to which firefox i have sorry im such a novice lol i have one installed in programs x86 , i couldnt see another firefox to dl as it automatically suggested the one for me to dl , i have tried both IE and IE 64 and neither of those are working !

Reaction score
Hi Nuttybird - Welcome to w7forums

Just to clarify, are you using the 32-Bit or 64-Bit browsers?

Adobe is still working on the 64-Bit version of Flash Player for 64-Bit browsing. However the 32-Bit should work fine as long as the related plugins are installed.

Hi Clifford , ive tried both 32 bit and 64 bit IE also the FF i have installed in the programs x 86 folder and opera which i just downloaded.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I just used your link with no problem (Maxthon Browser) >

How is your security set (Internet options) and what Firewall are you using ?

Reaction score
I have Google Chrome installed on my Laptop and Desktop as it is so light and quick. I have been told the Opera is really quick too but are content with Chrome atm. IE... no comments to be had that wouldn't be censored! lol

You definitely don't need a 64 bit browser for a 64 bit system; strange you are having issues with paypal as I use the Australia Paypal site all the time on a 64 bit system with Chrome and have no issues at all. What internet security do you run? Do you have Zone alarm, Peer Guardian etc? You could be blocking the web page with something like that. Try to open webpage again and check in your system tray for changes to firewalls icons etc. Peer Guardian flashes when it is blocking a site and from memory I had to configure it to let me on Paypal.
Hi Reap3r, I am currently running Norton (please dont groan lol) that came with the laptop i figured id try and sort out the browsing issues before finding other internet security, Ive checked the settings and to my limited knowledge everything seems to be set up correctly . I used to run peer guardian a while back and on quite a few sites i had to disable it to let me have access, im not all that familiar with norton tho.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Just to try i would lower your security settings in Norton and see if you can connect to PayPal.

Reaction score
I just used your link with no problem (Maxthon Browser) >

How is your security set (Internet options) and what Firewall are you using ?

My security is on medium/high with enabled protected mode checked and im using norton internet security with smart firewall.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Norton Nuttybird... now. They lost their way for a bit but i just started using 360 again this year as it had a really big overhaul and uses less resources.

I'm sure that a lot of peps out there will disagree about Norton but i'm not one of them. :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Norton have come a long way in the past year or so and Symantec now produce some good applications.

Reaction score
After fiddling with many things I thought i would try my mobile bb , which albeit rather slowly , let me have access to my paypal account , so i have come to the conclusion that my router is somehow restricting my access to the internet in a way it didnt do with vista.

how is it possible to choose which version of FF you Dl (32 or 64) when it auto suggests the right version for you ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Nuttybird

Can you post the link for your FF download

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
It looks like you have to accept the auto detect Nuttybird ... and good morning :D

Reaction score
Still having connectivity issues to certain sites using my router which i have tried to resolve to no avail ,my bb dongle works tho although this isnt a long term solution because of capped usage. I have come to the conclusion my netgear router which i am using is not 100% compatible with 64bit os, ive never had any trouble before when using it on xp, linux and briefly vista so i figured id invest in a new one ,if that doesnt solve my problem then ill just have to " suck it up" lol my question is which routers will work and does anyone have any recommendations? :)

Ask a Question