Boot Issues on a Toshiba Satellite

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba Satellite running Win7 and suddenly it will only open with a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. The colour of the black screen does slightly lighten sometimes but nothing further happens. I have tried F2 and F12 but can find nothing to help and do not have a Win 7 OS disc to put in.

Does anyone have any ideas or solution suggestions?

Thank you

Reaction score
1. Try re-plugging your hard disk.
2. try to open safe mode

3. if you need your data urgently then download some free Linux like puppy( ~100mb) and write it to USB or cd and boot from it. you can access your data like in windows and can browse internet and use office and music. use usb or cd to save data. install some data recovery software like testdisk or photorec.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Thank you John Steadman and Dextrose.
It seems that I have a bigger problem than rebooting system restore etc. I can't get anything on my screen other than the flashing cursor and black to blue screen. I have tried some CD's but they do not bring anything on screen either so I think this is probably an issue for an engineer. Above my experience level.
I do appreciate your help and replies.

Ask a Question