Brower issues , can anyone help ?

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hi Nuttybird!

I honestly don't see how that's likely in this situation! That you get this issue with Opera makes it all the more puzzling.

After reading through your posts I would recommend you make sure Peer Guardian is fully uninstalled if you no longer use it. Then using a 32bit browser to keep things simple, and clear any cache and cookies from it. After that I would at least try logging into Paypal with Norton Security, and any software firewalls fully disabled. As long as the router has a built-in firewall then you should be fine. SSL errors can also occur with proxies, are you using any of those?

If you are worried about the router's compatibility with your OS, one thing you can do is to make sure the router is running the latest firmware update available.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Have you done any troubleshooting on your Lan card (onboard or 3rd party)? By that I mean, check your computer Device Manager from the Control Panel and ensure there are no issues with your Network Adapters

Reaction score
Hi Nuttybird!

I honestly don't see how that's likely in this situation! That you get this issue with Opera makes it all the more puzzling.

After reading through your posts I would recommend you make sure Peer Guardian is fully uninstalled if you no longer use it. Then using a 32bit browser to keep things simple, and clear any cache and cookies from it. After that I would at least try logging into Paypal with Norton Security, and any software firewalls fully disabled. As long as the router has a built-in firewall then you should be fine. SSL errors can also occur with proxies, are you using any of those?

If you are worried about the router's compatibility with your OS, one thing you can do is to make sure the router is running the latest firmware update available.

HI kougar, peer guardian has never been used on this laptop and i tried shutting off the norton but i still have the same issue, I do believe my aol connection uses proxy servers ( not 100% sure) however i dont understand why this would be an issue as i have changed none of the settings in the router and it has always worked on every other system i have used, however i dont know how to check if i am using the latest firmware, i have been to the netgear website but it wasnt very helpful !

Reaction score
Have you done any troubleshooting on your Lan card (onboard or 3rd party)? By that I mean, check your computer Device Manager from the Control Panel and ensure there are no issues with your Network Adapters
Hi draceena, tried that and it says everything is working fine , its driving me absolutely crazy :(

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Nuttybird

Can you post the model No of your netgear router ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
OK your firmware is out of date, the latest for your router is 1.03.39 so i would download and install, to get in to your router settings type 192.168.1.1 into your browser then you will need name and password

Firmware > http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2332 (click the Downloads button)

Reaction score
OK your firmware is out of date, the latest for your router is 1.03.39 so i would download and install, to get in to your router settings type 192.168.1.1 into your browser then you will need name and password

Firmware > http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2332 (click the Downloads button)

Oh Thanks!! Can i ask if i dl this and install will it wipe out all the settings in the router already? if i remember right my aol connection was a pain in the backside to set up (many moons ago) and i dont know if i could remember how to do it all again!!

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Your personal settings should stay the same (I don't use a Netgear Router i have a SKY Router) i would recommend an Ethernet cable be run from the Router to the PC to ensure maximum stability during the update.

Generally you begin a firmware upgrade by downloading a binary file package from the manufacturer's Web site. After the package is set up properly on a PC, an administrator can launch the actual upgrade from the router's administrative console.

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Just to clarify - it may wipe the settings options on your router. Your router should give you the ability to back up your settings configuration to your computer however.

When upgrading the firmware (Just like the computer's BIOS) you should always manually set the device to factory defaults after the upgrade. If some configuration option was modified in the new firmware and the current setting becomes invalid after updating firmware, it can cause odd behavior or some features to not work properly on the device if this isn't done.

Reaction score
I use Win7 Ultimate 64bit with IE8 and have no trouble with PayPal..suggest something else is going on..try turning off your security for a short time..or try "In private Browsing.. Click on "safety" (top right hand IE8) then ..In private browsing.. Luck:)

Reaction score
With explorer open, right clicking the icon on the superbar will give the option to "Start InPrivate Browsing".

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've used the PayPal site twice since having a 64 bit computer and browser. No problem at all. If none of the above posts have helped you, temporarily disable your virus protection, just long enough to complete your transaction. If this works, switch antivirus programs. There are at least two or three excellent options.

Ask a Question