XP Mode no application on start menu

Reaction score
I have installed XP mode no problem and installed an old program which runs absoutely fine within the virtual pc. However on the start menu under Windows Virtual PC I do not see the "Virtual PC applications" folder I was expecting with the program so I can run it directly. I have shut down the virtual pc (well it says its hibernating)

One thing I have done is move all my Users to the E: partition before I started installing any programs. Has this confused it in someway? In my googling around I found some references to right clicking the "All programs" on the start menu and selecting "all users". this just brings up the explorer.

thanks for any advice

Mike

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Whenever you shut down your VM, don't do so the way you shut down your computer, clicking Start, then selecting a shutdown option. You click the "X" mark at the top of the VM, the same way you close your browser. Your VM will then show it's saving the system state, and will close on it's own. As long as you see the VM symbol in the taskbar, don't shut down your computer. It may take up to a minute to save the current state of your VM and shut down. When your VM symbol disappears in the task bar, then you may shut down or put your computer to sleep. VM's are picky about this, and are also picky about the files you delete when deleting temporary system files. This is not to be confused with deleting temporary internet files, which you can safely do. You may need to reload your OS that's within your VM. If you need further help, feel free to post back at anytime.

Reaction score
When I click the cross it says "hibernating the irtual machine". No VM in the taskbar.

If i go to Win7 start menu all programs and go to Windows Virtual PC I see 2 folders , Win Vitual PC and Win XP Mode. No sign of any applications as shown in the guide to using XP mode. It says i can launch an XP mode program directly from the win7 start menu or desktop, but I can't see it? That is the issue.

Thanks

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Do you mean that you don't have a desktop shortcut for Windows Virtual PC? You're saying that you can't see the program in the Start menu of Windows 7 or the desktop. Then how are you powering on the VM? And in your first post, you mentioned putting data in another partition than the one your VM is on. This is confusing me as to how this is running. You normally create the VM in the partition that Windows 7 is on. You install the VM, it's users, programs, and all that's related to the VM inside of Windows 7. It's a PC within a PC. But it all has to be in the same OS (Windows 7), on the same partition. You can't "split" a VM, having your programs in the VM, and your users elsewhere. It all has to be together to work. VM's are picky. I hope that this helps, if you need further assistance, post back.

Reaction score
Sorry to be confusing. I have put my Win7 users folder onto the E drive so my user data is on a seperate partition from the OS/programs.

Ah found it!!!! What I am referring to is if you go to is shown on this web page where it shows Google Chrome as a start up item under Windows Virtual PC in the start menu.

http://lifehacker.com/5245396/set-up-and-use-xp-mode-in-windows-7

He refers to the All Users start menu. The problem was that the application I had installed didn't give me an option of installing for All Users so it doesn't show up on the Win& start menu. Within the XP enviroment you have to:
1. Right click start and select All Users
2. drag the application shortcut from the desktop into the All Users start menu

Voila the application now apepars on the Win7 start menu under "Windows XP Applications" and can be added to your Win7 desktop or start menu.

Thanks for making me read it more carefully!

Ask a Question