SOLVED XP mode and Hardware Virtualization Issues

Reaction score
Alright. Heres the Issue.

I am running Vista 32 bit and Seven 64 bit (dual boot) with a Core 2 Quad Q9550. Im am Trying to get XP mode to work in Seven. Microsoft says you need hardware virtualization in order to do that.

In Vista, I ran Intel's Processor Identification Utility and the processor does in fact have hardware virtualization. However, in Seven, both the Intel Processor ID Utility and Microsoft's Hardware Virtualization Detection Tool say that it does not.

Does anyone have any insight as to what the problem is?

If you need more info on my hardware specs feel free to ask.

EDIT: I can run virtual machines fine in Vista and there is no BIOS setting for VT, its always on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you updated your BIOS? You have to check the motherboards site to find updates.

Also, If I remember right, Win XP Mode only works with Ultimate or Pro. Which version do you have?

Reaction score
The BIOS is current. I am running the Professional version.

Is there a possibility that the hardware virtualization for the processor will only work in a 32 bit environment? I would not assume so and have found nothing from Intel to support it.

Reaction score
It should work with both 32 & 64.

Did you download the right version of XP Mode & Windows Virtual PC (64 bit)?

The only other thing I can think of is a problem running 32 & 64 bit OS?
Do Vista & Win 7 both use BCD?

Reaction score
From Intel:
...customers should be aware that having a processor with Intel® VT does not guarantee that virtualization will work on their system. That is because Intel® Virtualization Technology also requires a computer system with a chipset, BIOS, enabling software and/or operating system, device drivers, and applications designed for this feature.
I can see your point about 32 bit since only Vista sees VT. However the XP Mode you install has to match the OS, so the only way to try it would be to re-install Win 7 with 32 bit and install XP Mode 32 bit. Not fun.

Reaction score
Yes, I made sure that I am using the 64 bit XP mode.

I am not exactly sure what BCD is. Could you give some more details, please?

I will try the 32 bit version tonight. I have not fully migrated to Seven so a rebuild is no problem.

Reaction score
BCD = Boot Configuration Data? I hadnt heard it referred as that before.

I have EasyBCD installed on the Vista Partition.

Reaction score
Jesse is right about BCD.
This MS page has a document about it, I was just unsure if Vista & 7 used the same format, now we know they do.
Xp used different boot sector information than Vizsta or 7.
Jesse is also right about using EasyBCD, it seems to be a popular tool.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I believe Windows Vista and Windows 7 have the same kernel. Any programs, drivers, etc. that work with Vista should also work with 7 on their respective architectures.

EasyBCD is an excellent, user friendly tool for multi-boot with Windows and Linux OS's.

Perhaps the dual-boot has something to do with the VT not working? Unlikely but I will try installing Seven on a separate hard drive when I rebuild.

Reaction score
I ran this configeration successfully with the RC version..you do need to "Turn on Virtual": in the BIOS if you can't perhaps you might need a BIOS update or your motherboard is not capable? I tried various Virtual programs but the best by far was the one put out by Microsoft a few months ago now. Worked seamlessly, there was a little bit of getting your head around configuration as instructions weren't all that clear (operation of programs in both OS's, printer sharing etc.) well worth the effort if that is what you need) Have you considered multiboot? I currently run 4 OS's on 4 different HDs and change boot from the default when I want to by using F12 key this method allows you to see all the other hard drives and transfer files no matter what OS you are actually in at the time..Have fun:)

Reaction score
I use the exact same hardware configuration at work. I checked with one of our senior administrators: the motherboard supports VT and it is always on by default.

I need to get this particular configuration working. Dual boot is easy to configure, however, its a simple matter of, it should work and I want to know why it doesnt.

I have a work around, already. I am getting VMware workstation from a co-worker to use for now. It just irks me that Microsofts software is screwing up - again.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Jesse, it won't work if you haven't installed chipset drivers for your motherboard... are you sure you've installed the latest chipset drivers for it?

Reaction score
Chipset Drivers worked! I had to find the original driver cd that came with my motherboard. After about 4 restarts I got all the drivers installed and XP mode works.

Thank you

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a new PC with Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit to take advantage of the XP mode feature. Does this mean that the XP mode will be also 64 bit ? In other words if I want the XP mode to be 32 bit, then would I have to install Windows 7 Professional - 32 bit and not the 64 bit version ?... Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I think XP mode is 32 bit regardless of 64 or 32 bit host. I had not been able to play with the XP mode this past weekend because I went out of town. I will let you know for sure tonight.

Ask a Question