WordPad Automatic Word Selection

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to disable the auto word select feature in wordpad. It appears I no longer have the option of disabling this feature in Windows 7. Im upgrading from XP so I dont know about Vista whether its the same or not. Im hoping there is a way either through an ini file or registry.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Clifford, I've had a look and I can't see a way to disable automatic word selection like you can in XP/Vista. I've had a quick look and can't see a way to change this in the registry, but perhaps someone will find a way to do this eventually.

For now, you could try using a freeware 3rd party alternative if you really need this feature disabled?

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to try and help - Its not really important - But it will lead to finding something else to work with - Its anoying not being able to control where the highlight starts and stops by the use of the mouse
I could use Notepad but I wouldnt have the drag and drop text support

Once again thanks

Reaction score
This was my very first post on the forum. I have not found a solution to this annoying feature. Looks as if I will need to look for a different program. I do hate the automated word select, even within some of the websites I find it annoying.

I can place the cursor where I want it. I don't need some programming code changing where I start or stop the highlight. You see it's not always word to word I want highlighted. There are several special characters between the words that the Automated Word Select treats as one whole word. It is so bad I hardly ever highlight with the mouse now. The only way I can highlight the text I want is with the arrow keys on the keyboard. WOW this goes back before the mouse was invented.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I was poking around, Cliff, and saw your very first post on these forums(!!) You mentioned the problem then. I can also see that many have the problem, judging by web posts. I can only assume it must be mouse sensitivity related. This is a little .avi of mine at work.
P.S. Now back to Ace's thread!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dave I copied your post so I wasn't continuing to post in Aces thread.

The automatic word select doesn't kick in until you start to highlight more than one word.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As I and Ace suggested, try Notepad ++ . Maybe too many features but it is quicker than opening Word.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to try and help - Its not really important - But it will lead to finding something else to work with - Its anoying not being able to control where the highlight starts and stops by the use of the mouse
I could use Notepad but I wouldnt have the drag and drop text support

Once again thanks
My application has drag and drop text support :)

Also, yes Notepad++ is amazing, and very well programmed. It's much faster and can deal with larger texts, and larger filesizes. Notepad I know will freeze at a certain point when too many bytes are in the editor (char values), but Notepad++ will be able to handle a lot more.

For some further information, the autowordselection is mostly a program setting that can't be changed, unless code says you can. I know for my application I could have had it one way or the other, but I chose both, and now I have user configurability to choose for that.

By tradition though, there's usually RTF users, and plain text users, i'm more of a plain text format kind of guy. Maybe I wasn't always that way but i've grown into it from being a script developer, after that point where you get tired of seeing lines of code you're already molded into the plain text user's category lol

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have Notepad++ but for some reason I keep using wordpad. :(
Same here, Cliff. Not sure of the reference to rtf format in the two threads not really related to your complaint.
But leave, for the moment, Notepad ++ out of the solutions. Try editpad lite. It has all the features of notepad, plus a few more, and can be used ,in the options, to replace notepad.

Last edited:

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There's also a free mediocre portable editor called Notepad2 which is really good as well.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
hey Cliff, I got to thinking about TM's post on the other thread. I copied Notepad.exe from an XP CD to my windows 7 installation. Renamed the existing notepad.exe notepad1.exe (You need to alter the security to do it). It works 100% withthe feature you want.

Just in case you no longer have the facility available, I've zipped the 32 and 64bit here for you.

View attachment 3343

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just in case you no longer have the facility available, I've zipped the 32 and 64bit here for you.
Thanks Dave for the effort but its not notepad I have the issue with. Wordpad is the one with the automatic word selection.

I wonder if Wordpad can be copied from XP as well?

I'm not editing text at the moment. I'm not sure when the next time will be. It looks as if I'm gonna have to quit fussing and simply force myself to switch apps. You guys have given me a few good suggestions already. :)

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes you can copy and run the wordpad from XP but it won't have the ribbon, etc.

Ask a Question