Removal of WordPad Automatic Formating

Reaction score
Hiya! I'm pretty tech-savvy, but the latest forms of many of Windows new programs (like Paint, Word and WordPad) have me completely scrambling. I can't find anything I need like I used to since all of the icons have been tucked away, and when it comes to WordPad, I can't find the facilities to discontinue some of its auto-formatting. How do I get WordPad to stop auto-formatting my paragraph & line spacing, and from automatically adding page numbers to the bottom of my pages? They both seem to be default settings and I know how to fix the paragraph/line spacing issue, but I'm sick of doing it -every- -time- I open WP, and of seeing numbers on my business printouts that I can't remove.

Many, Many Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello renaessance, welcome to the Windows 7 forum.

The only setting that I could find in WordPad that may be causing the formatting issue you're having is word wrap.

Under the "View" tab, Word Wrap - click dropdown arrow --> change from default setting "wrap to ruler" to "No wrap".

This may help as well ..

Change page margins

1. Open WordPad by clicking the Start button
    . In the search box, type WordPad, and then, in the list of results, click WordPad.
  2. Click the WordPad menu button
    , click Page setup, and then select the options you want.
Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/Windows7/Using-WordPad#section_2

Although I haven't worked that much with the new WordPad, it looks as though a lot of features present in older versions have been removed in the Windows 7 version. That may very well be why you can't find the auto format adjustment. It is no longer there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you get tired of fooling around with the stripped down WordPad 7, you could try this program - Jarte.

1. A free word processor based on the Microsoft WordPad word processing engine built into Windows.
2. A fast starting, easy to use word processor that expands well beyond the WordPad feature set.
3. A small, portable word processor whose documents are fully compatible with Word and WordPad.

Reaction score
Just found how to remove page numbers! Click top left like you are going to print. Click page set up instead. There is a little box you can uncheck that reads print page numbers. Hope that helps. It was frustrating me to. Now I can't print a large letter that I want to cut out to spell a word for my Sunday school classroom without it cutting off part of the bottom. Haven't started searching the forum yet though. Started with this search then figured it out and thought I would share what I found. Know it's an old post but maybe it will help somebody like me who rarely uses this sort of stuff.

Ask a Question