WMC Recording Issues

Reaction score
I m running Win7 64bit and am trying to record with windows media center and keep getting the copyright error and recording stops after 20 mins or so and have tried several channels and keep getting this, can anyone suggest anything on this?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I am not 100% positive but ...
WMC has DRM protection called PlayReady. It prevents you from copying protected content etc. Have you set that up properly?

Reaction score
yeah, it actually prompted me to do it otherwise it told me it wouldnt work, so that is installed, but basically all i wanna do is just record off my vcr some old tapes but the way wmc is setup it thinks i m recording an actual show on channel 3 (cbs) but i m really not and cant seem to get around it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Maybe the programs on the VCR tape actually have DRM encoding at the 20min spot and it detects that. It is actually something transmitted with the broadcast so I do not believe the issue is that it's on channel 3 unless when the tape finishes it is actually switching over to a channel 3 broadcast.

Reaction score
I dunno i dont think so , because a few months ago it was working just fine and now lately its just giving me this error, I tried rolling back to older updates and restore points but it didnt do any good. Any thing else out there anyone can suggest?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I guess the question is, have you tried different tapes and it happens with all of them at the 20min mark?

Could you disconnect the VCRs input so you know for sure there is absolutely nothing coming from a broadcast (you know so like if you stop the tape channel 3 actually shows static)?

I'm at a loss I'm afraid so I'm just spit-balling thoughts.

Hopefully somebody else has some ideas. You might also consider posting your question on a video editing forum; I've never been on one but I would bet they exist.

Ask a Question