SOLVED Recording USB usage

Reaction score
Sounds a silly question, but I need to know when certain removable USB devices have been used. It's a security issue and I think somebody has been looking at my computer and I want to know if they've used a flash card eg to download files.

I believe that whenever a device is plugged into a USB port then a record is kept in the registry. Is there any way of interpreting this information? Does anybody know where this information is recorded and what information is stored?

I also heard that this data is lost if the computer is restarted - is that true please?

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are numerous paid products to do this but I'm not aware of a native ability in W7.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I could be wrong as I'm no expert, but I am not aware of any information being retained from attached USB devices. If the USB device requires a specific driver you MAY be able to verify if the device specific driver was installed in your system, since Windows 7 likes to install device drivers for every USB flash drive I've owned.

I quickly found this program, it will record attached USB devices in the future, but I don't think it works retroactively. http://thepcsecurity.com/usbdeview-usb-event-log-file-to-remember-usb-device-connections/

Reaction score
I eventually found a utility called usbdeview which shows when any usb device was connected. Using it I was able to find that somebody had connected a flash card when I was away from my desk!

Ask a Question