WinUpdates Keeps Recommending Wrong Updates

Reaction score
WinUpdates keeps nagging me to install three *important* updates, but they fail to install. I then downloaded each of them individually from MS website and tried to manually install them, but all three then gave error msg: "This update is not applicable to your computer". In other words, it sounds like Updates keeps hounding me to install updates that, in fact, don't belong on my PC. Does anyone know if this is normal? If so, is there anyway to make Updates stop nagging me about it?

System = Win7Ultimate 64-bit. Brand new HP Pavilion.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Right click on the update and choose hide update.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Go to start orb & type in windows update.
click the line that says x recommended updates are available, where x is a number.
right click on the ones that do not apply to your machine and select "hide update".

Many cards are very similar, same chipset etc and windows may recommend the wrong driver. Microsoft update can also try to reinstall older or out-dated drivers if you got newer ones from the manufacturer. This is why I do not like the option to treat recommended updates the same as important updates; I prefer to do these manually (see Change Settings on the Windows Update screen to change this).

Reaction score
Many thanks to both of you. It figures that I would overlook a solution as simple as that!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Feel free to ask anything. You will be a W7 pro in no time. :)

Ask a Question