Windows XP Mode - Discussion

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Nice tutorial Ian :top:, used XP Mode for an old version of Repligator and it worked well :cool:

Reaction score
I tried running a game in XP, but it didn't work. When I opened the game, it said "A required security module cannot be activated. The program cannot be executed". It is a full screen, 3-D game, is this anything to do with it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I tried running a game in XP, but it didn't work. When I opened the game, it said "A required security module cannot be activated. The program cannot be executed". It is a full screen, 3-D game, is this anything to do with it?
Which game is it? Windows XP mode uses an emulated graphics adapter, so only the most basic software rendered 3D games will work on it. I'll also add some more information to the article about this in the coming week. :)

Reaction score
Which game is it? Windows XP mode uses an emulated graphics adapter, so only the most basic software rendered 3D games will work on it. I'll also add some more information to the article about this in the coming week. :)
Ahh, I thought 3-D games would work. It's Dawn of War Soulstorm, it's a few years old but still very flashy. I've heard of Parallels, but I suppose that's a bit more advanced than Virtual PC.

Reaction score
How would this help run games, it only fixes XP system files?

What kind of apps wouldn't run in XP?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I'm not quite clear on what you don't understand here Sycthus
When you try to install or run an application on Windows XP, you receive the following error message:
16-bit MS-DOS in the way you try to start or install config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application.
I just found the original post of this (2005) maybe he had a drink because i make it the 5th link down :D

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Apologises for posting in a row but ...

I'm intrigued by this (fix) i have never tried it and if i wanted to run 16bit DOS i would probably use DOS BOX, also i can see Sycthus point but enough wondering I'm going to download it in XP Pro SP3 and see if it works !. Then try Windows 7.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I downloaded a game from Here tried to run the install in XP Pro and got this >

So i installed XP_FIX.EXE, the game installed OK but to play the game i had to use on-board graphics and audio (Crossfire and my sound card would not have it).

XP_FIX.EXE would not load in XP Mode in Windows 7 RC1.

So there you have it XP_FIX.EXE does work in XP :), now i have my main rig back together i will stick to todays games :D

Reaction score
I understand now. 16-bi5 games won't run in 32-bit XP, but the descirption says that XP FIX fixes XP system files, not allowing 16-bit games to run, am I still missing something? (Sorry!)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I don't think they have the description quite right Sycthus the fix allows the game to be installed but as i found to run the game takes a bit more, if you want to run old PC games in say XP i would recommend DOSBox > http://www.dosbox.com/

Reaction score
To Bad XP mode is not working

I have the Pro of Win 7 version just to run the xp mode the beta worked just fine. but now that I have my new Win7 installed I followed the directions to install XP Mode and when I try to set it up I get an error telling me there is another virtual software running and I should shut it off and try again. There is no other software running and I have even uninstalled it and tried again short of formatting the hard drive and starting over (no a good idea, yet) I need the for work and am a bit upset about this problem and I cannot even check to see if I can help as the tech support tells me the product key I entered is not formatted right even though it's right off the computer. Maybe some one here can offer some ideas on how to fix this issue.

Reaction score
To Bad XP Mode won't run

I just installed win7 Pro and the main reason was for XP Mode which I ran w/out problems in the Win7 RC using the Beta xp Mode. Now that I have the release version of both it will not run. After installing XP Mode (following the directions) I get the following error when I try to start it running: " Cannot start Windows Virtual PC while another virtualization software is running. Please close the other virtualization software and try again."

I have tried uninstalling it then reinstall - failed
This morning I restored my system back to pre - xp mode install and am going to try again, I am not holding out much hope for it to work.

Reaction score
Hi, first run this tool from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...7f-8538-4619-8d1c-05d27e11adb2&displaylang=en to check if your CPU has Hardware Assisted Visualization and can run Virtual PC with XP Mode. I did and failed, shame shame shame!

well mine can and after a week a m/s engineer and I fixed it - seems ther is an issues with the bios on gigabyte broads and he had seen the issues 3 other time - after updating to a nerwer BIOS the issues was fixed.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Fortunately, the hardware requirement to run XP Mode is now gone, however, you still need Windows 7 Pro & above to get the program. It seems that the only reason that XP Mode won't run in Home Premium & below is a money issue. Microsoft says that only businesses need this technology, that isn't entirely true, considering the huge number of threads where hardware (especially Canon printers) doesn't work with 64 bit Windows 7. So home users can benefit from this, too. I upgraded from Home Premium to Pro using the Anytime Upgrade option in the Start Menu, it was a simple procedure, after collecting nearly $100 ($89+tax), I had Pro fully installed in 10 minutes, as promised. The next day, I installed Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode, it took a lot longer than the Pro upgrade, but most of that time was spent upgrading XP. I did it, not out of need of the program at all, but to help others in need, and recently there was a business person with a Canon printer, I pointed him to the download, he was back in business. I strongly recommend it to anyone who has older software/hardware issues with Windows 7. However, I do not recommend it for gaming, it's not as responsive as a "real install" is, and a gamer may not be satisfied with this program.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Just a note: With XP Mode powered down in Windows XP Mode Virtual PC Settings > Memory (default is 512mb RAM) you can allocate more RAM , as long as you have the RAM to spair, makes it a lot faster :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have mine set to 1792MB (1.75GB). That's enough for my use of it.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I probably wont keep XP mode long Cat as I'm seeing less and less XP computers now.

Ask a Question