Windows Update High CPU Utilization - wuauserv

Reaction score
Windows 7 SP1 problem

I am new to this Form - just found it when doing searches. I have a problem, maybe someone can help.

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. I am having a problem with Windows update. At first it wouldn’t work. It would get stuck on searching for updates - never got past this first step. I also noticed Windows Update service program “wuauserv” would have about 50% cpu utilization even without windows update running. I searched the Windows Community Forum and found others are also having similar problems with high cpu utilization for wuauserv.

One of the recommendations was to install a fix - KB3138612 which I did. Windows Update worked at first and allowed 211 updates to be installed. However, now Windows Update is back to getting stuck on searching for updates and still a high cpu utilization for wuauserv.

It seems many are having this problem but there doesn’t seem to be a resolution for it.
Does anyone have any words of wisdom or have had the problem?

Thanks,
Martinray

Ask a Question