windows 7 64 bit unexpected shutdown

Reaction score
I have dell XPS 8300 windows 7 64 bit Intel core I7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHZ, ram 8.00G,last couple weeks the windows keep shutdown soon I start again then see note from the windows: WINDOWS HAS RECOVERED FROM AN UNEXPECTED SHUTDOWN.
I try to update drive and new version BIOS and reinstall windows but still don't help much.any one could advise and help please.Thankyou

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sudden shutdowns, system freezes and sudden reboots are often caused by heat issues, or power issues. So first, you need to inspect the interior of the case to ensure it is free of heat trapping dust and dirt, and all the fans spin freely.

Use a hardware monitor to monitor your temps.
Your motherboard utilities disk should have a monitoring program (or check for a more recent version on your motherboard or PC maker's website). If none, I use and recommend CoreTemp for newer Intel and AMD64 CPUs, or RealTemp for Intels. SpeedFan is a great and popular alternative, or you can try Motherboard Monitor. Open Hardware Monitor is also becoming very popular. Unfortunately, I have found that these programs often have problems properly identifying and labeling the sensor they are reading. The temperatures shown are as accurate as the inexpensive, low-tech sensors will allow, but it may say System Fan instead of CPU Fan. Fortunately, the programs do allow you to edit the labels, so I use Everest to verify the temperatures (as it is able to match sensor with label correctly), then edit the label in the monitoring program. In Everest, look under Computer > Sensor, then wait a couple seconds for the readings to appear. Unfortunately, Everest does not minimize to the system tray to show real-time temperatures, otherwise, you could use Everest instead of the others. Check but do not rely on the temps shown in the BIOS Setup Menu. While they are likely correct, running the BIOS Setup Menu is probably the least demanding task you can ask of your computer so it does not show the temps when the system is being taxed. But if the BIOS Setup Menu temps are high, you have a problem that needs to be corrected. HWMonitor, from the makers of CPUID is also very informative, but does not minimize to the system tray.

I get nervous when CPU temperatures hit 60°C. While most CPUs are capable operating at higher temps, system stability issues arise and long term exposure to very warm temperatures increases component aging (including the CPU socket and surrounding devices). GPU (graphics processing unit) temperatures typically run considerably warmer with 80°C not uncommon.​
If your temps are normal, I would want to know my power supply is working properly by swapping in a known good one, or having that on properly tested.

You may also try running with one stick of RAM at a time. Just be sure to unplug the computer from the wall AND touch bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body BEFORE reaching in for cleaning or pulling parts.

Reaction score
all the fan still running,also very clean inside unit .try diagnostics test whole system everything past.so I don't what to do at this point?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
.try diagnostics test
What diagnostic test? What are you temps?

I don't what to do at this point?
Well, as noted, I would want to know my power is good - fans spinning only says they are getting voltage - a good sign but not conclusive. The PSU must supply good +12VDC, +5VDC and +3.3VDC to various points inside the computer, not just to the fans. Did you try running with one stick of RAM at a time?

Reaction score
no,i dont' try running with on stick of Ram yet.I will let you know a result

Ask a Question