Windows Media Player automatically adds file to playlist

Reaction score
Ok, so in the old Media Player, when I opened a file, it made Media Player open, and removed all the other items from the library. I liked this. It no longer does this. Now, it'll just add it to the Now Playing list, and sometimes it won't even open the player, or the player icon on the bottom bar, it'll just play the Audio.

How can I fix this without downgrading to WMP11?

Reaction score
Hi Garethp, Welcome to the board!

MS has pretty much decimated WMP's abilities with this version. No tag editor is one obvious change. But I think adding a clicked file to Now Playing is the new default behavior and I don't see how to change it. I agree though, I liked the old way it dealt with clicked files.

But not opening the player yet still playing the audio? Sounds like dodgy install.

Which build are you running and would you consider getting a newer build?

Or switching to another media player that isn't hobbled?

Reaction score
I use build 7100. What's the current build? I've done all the updates.

I think I'll regress down to WMP11. I also noted that when I closed WMP12, it paused my movies instead of clearing my playlist. I do not like this. When I tell a program to close, I'm saying close, not stay really really still untill I tell you to. I'm definately regressing

Reaction score
7600 is "out there". Sorry I can't go into more detail on where.

Everything you've said about errors really sounds like a bad install. Maybe try an clean reinstall, which can be a lot of work if you have a lot of apps to reinstall & data to backup & restore. Or get 7600, which is the final, finished build before it gets released in October.

Reaction score
Windows Media Player

can you go back to WMP11 in Windows 7 as i cant get on with Windows Media Player in Windows 7:(

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried it once, and my machine stuffed up later on. I tried it a second time (After reformatting) and Media player wouldn't work. Luckily, I did the smart thing the second time and set a restore point. My problem with the not closing actually had to do with the SlideShow gadget and my G15 Keyboard.

Only problem now.

How do I make it so that WMP12 Always opens maxi zed and always opens with the playlist list open?

Ask a Question