SOLVED Windows Media Player Error 500

Reaction score
When I try to lookup the information for a album on WMP I get an error 500 - Server not available.

I have reinstalled media player twice and restarted the library twice. No change. Any suggestions?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is no reason to reinstall WMP, the issue has to do with getting info from the internet, not an issue with the software installed locally. Make sure WMP can get through your firewall(s) otherwise it cannot send the request and then download the info.

Are you connecting to the internet from work? If so maybe you need to use proxy servers. You might also take a screenshot and post it of your options > network tab. I don't know enough about the Network settings in WMP but I can compare your to mine if you post a screenshot.

Of course it is also possible that Microsoft's Media Servers are down.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Trainable. I solved the problem. Not sure if it was the right way but; I went to Micosoft updates and installed their Direct X total update. It fixed the problem and my computer now goes to the right website for album info.

thanks for helping

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it worked then "it's all good". Thank you for sharing what worked for you, it may help others. I have marked this solved.

Ask a Question