closing Windows Media Player while playing a song deletes the song file

Reaction score
I am having a issue where when I close Windows Media Player during playback of a music file, the music file deletes itself upon closing Windows Media Player!!! it doesn't get removed to the recycle bin it just automatically permanently deletes itself!!! midi files especially!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is a good chance they haven't been deleted, their file attributes may have just changed to hidden or system.

Check to see if that is the case please. Open Windows Explorer and locate the folder where the files are stored. Then change the Organize ... File and folder settings as shown here:
Show OS files.jpg

If they really aren't there any more then you can return the settings to the way they were.

If the files are there then what anti-virus software do you use? and have you run a full system scan for viruses lately? Viruses can set screwy attributes for files but I have also heard of McAfee anti-virus itself having some weird issue a while back that used to cause something like this.

Reaction score
There is a good chance they haven't been deleted, their file attributes may have just changed to hidden or system.

Check to see if that is the case please. Open Windows Explorer and locate the folder where the files are stored. Then change the Organize ... File and folder settings as shown here:
View attachment 4641

If they really aren't there any more then you can return the settings to the way they were.

If the files are there then what anti-virus software do you use? and have you run a full system scan for viruses lately? Viruses can set screwy attributes for files but I have also heard of McAfee anti-virus itself having some weird issue a while back that used to cause something like this.
they aren't there!!! the midis were located on the desktop, I have my computer set to show hidden files & folders!!! when I redownloaded them, i didn't even ask me to over write!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Two weeks ago you mentioned files mysteriously disappearing. This is likely a continuation of that problem.

Most likely causes are:
1. a virus
2. a hard drive going bad and loosing files
3. Sun spots/Aliens (This one has a less than one one-hundredth of one percent probability)

Ask a Question