SOLVED Windows Media Player problem?

Hop

Reaction score
I've had a strange problem develop about 8-9 months ago with Windows Media Player 12.0.7601.18150 . The operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium. Here is the problem:

Every time I open WMP, in a few seconds, a new file folder is created on the desktop. It is the remnants of a file of pictures I had deleted some time ago as I consolidated the pictures of my granddaughters into one file. It was called "All Pics". I could delete the file and empty the trash can and it would return to the desktop the next time I opened WMP.

I've tried deleting the sub-folders one at a time and emptying the trash can. It would returned when I opened WMP.

I recently renamed the folder "wwwwwwwwww" and deleted it. Emptied the trash can. "wwwwwwwwww" reappeared the next time I opened WMP.

After deleting the folder and emptying the trash can, I've done a search for the file and I cannot find it anywhere on my computer. But open WMP, and there it is again on the desktop.

I've owned computers for 31 years and am fairly competent in going in and fixing problems. I've searched the net and not found any references on this type of problem. (wrong key words?)

It does not seem to affect performance in any way. It is just buggy to see a file folder you can't find appear again and again on the desktop.

Any thoughts on how I can exorcise this "computer demon"?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Have you tried:
In WMP right click on Pictures
Select "Manage Picture Library"

Hop

Reaction score
Yes, nothing showing there except a very small file of pics that came with the computer.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Then I would probably run regedit and search for the path or simply the directory name that keeps poping up. Normally I wouldn't suggest anybody mess with the registry, but you have said that you have a lot of experience. So that is where I would look. Obviously back up the registry before you do anything or make a system restore point.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Windows 7 allows for pointers, that is how libraries work, basically it allows you to create an imaginary folder which is really just a pointer to another. And even simpler than that is the use of shortcuts. So, when you have the folder on your desktop, right-click and choose Properties, then take a screenshot of the General Tab window and post it here please.

Also, some programs add folders to the registry as a way to protect them and so I'm just curious your folder is in there at all. Could you run regedit and search the registry for "wwwwwwwwww" and if you don't find that then search for "All Pics". Screenshots if you find it please.

Hop

Reaction score
Yippee!

Thanks to both Shintaro and TrainableMan!

I had forgotten about the "imaginary folders". I did a search in the registry and found the "wwwwwwwwww" file in four places - HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_USERS. Did a system restore point, deleted them and rebooted. That seems to have exorcised that little "computer demon".

Thank you!

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate, if all is well, could you kindly mark the thread as Solved.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I went ahead and marked it solved. If the issue should return, the OP can reopen it.

Hop

Reaction score
Sorry guys. I did mark it "solved". And came back a day or two later without posting and saw the "solved" at the top. Can't imagine why it stopped showing up as "solved". The joy of computing!?

Again, thanks for the help!

Ask a Question