Windows Media Center won't play video after wake from sleep

Reaction score
Hi I've recently installed Windows 7 on my HTPC and setup Media Center (WMC) and it seems to be working well after a fresh boot but, when the computer wakes from sleep and I try to play live or recorded TV I get "Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly. Restart Windows Media Center or restart computer." Restarting WMC doesn't help so the computer needs to be rebooted in order to get it to work. This isn't really an acceptable solution. I've read some things online that adjusting the sound setting will fix this but I've tried every combination (stereo, 5.1, 7.1 in WMC & stereo in the HDMI driver) and it still doesn't work. I'd appreciate any help anyone could provide. Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Since you mention TV the problem may be your TV tuner. Go to control panel > device manager and locate the TV tuner. See if there is a Power Management tab on the TV tuner properties and if so, then uncheck the box that allows it to sleep.

Reaction score
Since you mention TV the problem may be your TV tuner. Go to control panel > device manager and locate the TV tuner. See if there is a Power Management tab on the TV tuner properties and if so, then uncheck the box that allows it to sleep.
I have an HDHomeRun and I can't see anything in the Config GUI about sleep.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not sure we are talking about the same things, were you in Control Panel > Device Manager looking at the properties for the HDHomeRun card or were you in some configuration settings window for the HDHomeRun?

I don't have a TVTuner card installed so I can't check to see if they have the option but what I was referring to is a Power Management Tab similar to what I see here on the network card:
DeviceManager-NoSleep4NIC.jpg

I would also suggest you make sure you have the latest BIOS for your computer/motherboard because ACPI (which controls sleep) was commonly updated in the BIOS to support Windows 7.

Reaction score
I'm not sure we are talking about the same things, were you in Control Panel > Device Manager looking at the properties for the HDHomeRun card or were you in some configuration settings window for the HDHomeRun?

I would also suggest you make sure you have the latest BIOS for your computer/motherboard because ACPI (which controls sleep) was commonly updated in the BIOS to support Windows 7.

1) I meant the latter but tried the former based on your suggestion here. No joy, unfortunately.

2) I've looked into this and my BIOS is two versions behind although the last one says it's a Beta version (but from 2010). Anyway, I'm waiting for some new RAM and a new CPU to arrive, so I'll wait and do it all at the same time. I'll report back when all is said and done.

Cheers.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
HDHomeRun said:
Video Error: Files needed to display video are not installed
This error is often caused by an incompatibility between the MS audio decoder and HDMI audio drivers on the PC. Update the drivers for the sound card, and if separate, HDMI audio, from the manufacturer. Do not rely on automatic software installs through Device Manager or Windows Update as these can be out of date. If the error persists, disable HDMI audio output. If the error no longer appears, this confirms that the issue is with HDMI audio, and you should contact the hardware manufacturer for assistance.
http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/instructions/prime/

In other words, they know it happens but "it's not their problem"

Reaction score
Everything works fine from fresh boot so I don't think it's incompatibility with drivers. Given that it only occurs upon waking from sleep, I think that your suggestion about updating the BIOS makes the most sense.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Having the latest drivers is usually best and since they specifically made mention of it I do think you should update the HDMI driver if one is available. When you boot up, things happen in a certain order, but if some devices sleep and others don't it is quite possible links may be broken. A new driver could change the way things occur on wake. Like they said "disable HDMI audio output. If the error no longer appears, this confirms that the issue is with HDMI audio".

Ask a Question