SOLVED Windows Media Center crash

Reaction score
Like some on this forum I had been having total system freezes at random times that required a hard restart. One of those freezes occurred as I was starting up Windows Media Center. Ever since then every attempt to start WMC results in a "WMC has stopped working and windows is searching for a solution" pop-up. No solution is ever found and WMC is unusable in its current state. I tried replacing the .dll file that goes with the program, in case it was corrupted, and that didn't help. I also tried to repair my windows install and that didn't have any effect either. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Okay first of all did you try a system restore? Could you list the specs for your computer? Did your computer come with Windows 7 preinstalled ( and for that matter, you don't even mention your OS although I assume its 7 ) or did you perform a clean install or an upgrade? You should also perform a scan with Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
As a last resort you may try to back up all your important data and restore you computer to its factory settings ( do you have installation or recovery CD's? ). I cant help you more intill you tell us more about your computer.
in your reply include:
1) specs such as Model, Company,the OS, amount of RAM, and CPU power ( the more you list the better). To make life easyier goto click on the start button
and in the search look up system information click on system summery >> click edit select all >> then edit copy >> paste results in your next post.
2)log created after running a full system scan of malwarebytes
3) A complete list of your security software such as anti-viruses
4) check your system notifications ( that white flag close to the far right of the taskbar, it may have a red circle with a white x in the middle ) tell us what the alerts are if you have any.
5) im sure im missing some things, but the main point is give more information so I, or anyone else for that matter can help you diagnose your problem.

Windows is difficult to maintain, did your computer run really good at one time? If so you might need to do some cleaning up.
1. create a system restore
2. run ccleaner ( www.ccleaner.com ) after you install and open the program click run cleaner after that click the button that says registry >> then
click scan for issues >> then click fix selected issues.
3. run malwarebytes if you have not already, be sure to do a full scan.
4. defragment your hard drive
5. clear unneeded start up programs. ( goto search type "msconfig" without quotations then press enter >> click on the start up tab then read carefully for programs that may not be need to launch on startup.

Above all keep in mind that sometimes its not the Operating System, sometimes its the hardware. So follow my steps to give us further insight into your issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Malwarebytes keeps crashing so I can't help ya there, keeps stopping mid-scan and a pop-up saying it is unresponsive and needs to close. Here is the other info.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (Did a clean install)
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer DELL Inc.
System Model Studio XPS 435T/9000
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 975 @ 3.33GHz, 3334 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date DELL INC. A14, 2009/07/28
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
Time Zone Tokyo Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.13 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.2 GB
Page File Space 8.99 GB

Right now I am using AVG Anti-Virus and have tried all of the second list to no success

Reaction score
Okay I have a few more questions.

1) Did your computer have these problems when 7 was installed if not when did they start.
2) what kind of error messages are you getting when these programs crash
3) what kind of programs do you have running at the same time?

The specs on your computer look good, I don't see any reason it should be crashing unless its the Operating System. So heres the things I think you should try.

1) boot your computer into safe mode by pressing F8 on startup then selecting safe mode from the list of options. After your on the desktop in safe mode try running malwarebytes ( make sure you update it first ) if your successful post the log in your next reply.

2) If all else fails and you just want to put these problems behind you. Back up all your important data. Music, Pictures, and everything you will need. You will be restoring your computer to factory settings. The following website offers allot of information on the different way to restore windows 7

http://www.shivaranjan.com/2009/05/...-or-hard-disk-partitions-from-a-system-image/

It sounds like you may end up reinstalling windows 7, but once you do I think you will be up and running again.

Ask a Question