Recorded TV has white diagonal lines in Windows 7 x64 Windows Media Center

Reaction score
I have a weird problem in Windows 7 Professional x64. If I watch Live TV it looks terrific. If I watch a show that I have WMC Record while I'm in another room watching a show in another room on my tv, the Recorded TV shows always have white diagonal lines about an inch apart from left to right.All the drivers are up to date for my XFX Radeon HD5770 video card (ATI 10.12 x64), Hauppage WinTV HVR-1850 tv tuner (1.47.28239.0) and Viewsonic VX2250wm-LED monitor (1.5.0.0).

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Total shot in the dark but I would try swapping out your cables, maybe rerouting them away from any electrical interference and if that doesn't work then a different tv tuner card.

Reaction score
I Don't thinks it's my cable's as Live TV looks fine. Recorded TV is what looks odd, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Agreed, the cables are a long shot but cheaper than a tuner card to at least try switching around a bit.

I would suggest buying a tuner card at a store with a no restocking fee return policy so you can try that and if it doesn't fix it you can return it.

Reaction score
I don't believe it's the tuner card. If it were Live TV wouldn't work. I'm not talking about Internet TV. I'm talking about Media Center's Live & Recorded TV which both come from my cable company through the tuber. Live TV appears as it should, but if I record a show while I'm out or sleeping the Recorded TV always has faint white diagonal lines a inch apart on the whole screen. All drivers, software and Windows are updated.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you using windows media center to record or some other software?

I'm curious, maybe you could you try this. The next time you sit down to watch a show live, hit the record button, then when it's over go back and view the recorded content and then tell us if the live and the recorded looked different.

Reaction score
I'm using WMC for the recording.I've got the following WMC addons in use Wtvwatcher, DVRMS Toolbox and DTB addin for removing commercials. I've also, done a clean install about 1 1/2 weeks ago and tried it with WMC without those addons and the recorded tv was the same. This ruled out the 3 addons as the problem. Also, my house just has basic cable not digital cable. I use Hulu Desktop beta for whatever cable doesn't give me. I'm using that without it's Media Center addin, as all it does is closes WMC, which is unneccesary as I have Hulu pinned to the tasbar.

Last edited:

Ask a Question